PDA

View Full Version : Help with stampings

Night Raider
09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi folks,

Just wondered if someone could help me out with some barrel stampings on an Italian Zouave imported from Hy Hunter of Hollywood/Burbank. I'd posted an earlier thread on the gun and went back to give the markings a closer look. I found the proof house markings for Gardone (both blackpowder and non-blackpowder guns). The Year of Proof/Manufacture date is 1963 according to the "XIX" symbol.

I'm a little confused as to what the following marks mean: HHH1597 (I suppose this is the serial number but is there any significance to the letters?) and the word "Finito," which I know is Italian for finished, but other than that don't know if the stamping implies anything else. Any help is appreciated.

Regarding my earlier thread expressing concern that the gun might have the weaker "brazed bolsters," I could not see any yellow/red edging where the bolster joins the barrel, although I looked carefully with a flashlight.

DRWambaugh
09-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I would imagine the "HHH" would stand for "Hy Hunter Hollywood". This would be done before the serial number in order to denote a weapon made by the Italian factory specifically for this company. Sort of like modern day Richmond rifle-muskets have the "R" prefix in front of the serial number to denote it as a Richmond barrel.

Dan

Night Raider
09-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Duh, now why couldn't I figure that out? I guess I was so convinced of some hidden, elaborate code I plain overlooked the obvious. Thanks! You don't suppose "Finito" just means the gun's completed, do you?