PDA

View Full Version : Building 5th Model Burnside from scratch

TNSharps55
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I've purchased a 5th Model Burnside that is a good candidate to measure and copy in modern steels to make a shooting replica (rather than risk shooting my original). I have disassembled it down to the receiver/barrel/trigger bar/lever catch assembly. I have a couple of questions before I go further:

1. I haven't, and would prefer not to unscrew the barrel from the receiver. Does anyone know what the form, pitch and size of the barrel thread is?
2. The lever catch appears to trap the trigger bar against the bottom of the receiver. Is the lever catch threaded into the receiver or pinned? If threaded, is there anything I should know before I try to unscrew it?

Southron Sr.
09-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Dear Terry:

I would suggest you "Google" Lodgewood Manufacturing and ask them those questions. They sell Burnside parts so they know how a Burnside is put together.

If you build one Burnside and get it approved by the Small Arms Committee, I am sure that there are other Skirmishers that would want one. So, you might suddenly have a bunch of orders.

RaiderANV
09-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Lodgewood Ask for Becky 262-473-5444

gmkmd
09-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Wow, that sounds like quite a project. But with Burnsides being so common and reasonably priced, why bother? At the gun shows in my area you can have your pick of shooter-grade Burnsides for $1,200 - $1,500.

Robt. Propst
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Boy, what a project. That breech has lots of small and complex parts....kind of agree with gmkmd. However, if you look at it as a Doctoral thesis, it would certainly establish your credentials. I shot a Burnside for while, but moved on to Smiths and Maynards. VR, Bob

rachbobo
09-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Terry,
Looking at a schematic of a 5th model Burnside I found at Cheaperthandirt.com I see only 2 pins. One is in the bridle of the lock mechanisim and the other holds the trigger to the bottom strap all the rest are screws.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see where matching the threads of the original barrel and receiver with your replica would be of concern unless if you want to swap out the barrels between the two.
Rejecting it for competition would be the same as rejecting a gun because a screw stripped out and a 6-32 was replaced with a 8-32.
I believe the external dimensions are what matter.
The Starr Carbine semi replica I am building uses a 1 1/16th X 16 tpi thread. I chose that because that is the same thread used on the Remington 700 and many other rifles. At a later date I can buy an aftermarket barrel that will simpley screw on if I want a different caliber.
I have both a percussion and rimfire Starr Carbine. I'm on hold with the percussion as I wait for a new barrel I ordered to come in for it.

Bill Cheek

TNSharps55
09-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks to all for the good info. I've bought parts from Lodgewood in the past so I'll give them a call and will keep the BB posted on how the project goes. I have access to CNC equipment for the build so I would consider making other repros if I get this one approved. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment, but the main goal of the project is to have a shooter out of modern steels, thus avoid concerns about parts breaking such as breech lock catch. I like the idea of using a modern barrel thread - Thanks Bill! The toughest part at present is just getting everything measured and into CAD. Another challenge will be faithfully copying the gain twist rifling. Might just build that rifling machine I've always wanted while I'm at it. Anyone out there do their own rifling?

Edwin Flint
09-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Terry,

Have you ever considered joining the NSSA? Deep South Region would love to have you.

mbrien
09-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Terry,
Sounds like a great project! I would be interested in seeing what you come up with! I have always wanted a Burnside Carbine, but I am also weary of using an original and would rather have a reproduction. Thanks
Mark

Jack C., 69th NY
09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
" I have access to CNC equipment for the build so I would consider making other repros if I get this one approved."

Terry,
Burnside's are not that common on the firing line. One breechloading rifle that is growing in popularity in the N-SSA is the Ballard, made by several manufacturers during and immediately following the Civil War. Depending on the model, They use either 44-40, 44 magnum 45 Colt & possibly others. I hear some are shot in percussion in the dual ignition mode (?).

Give some thought to reproducing a Ballard. You might be surprised at the interest that this might generate.

Best of luck!

Jack Conway
irish1861@aol.com