PDA

View Full Version : Question about black powder causing grass to ignite

DAVE FRANCE
09-04-2011, 06:03 PM
In Texas after two months of peak temperatures over 100 degrees with little or no rain, grass and weeds become very dry, and burn bans are common.

Some people think black powder ammunition of any type should be banned also during a burn ban. Have you ever seen grass ignited by black powder? I would not be surprised to see grass ignite if a black powder round was fired at very close range into the grass.

But I am not sure about black powder ammuntition fired from the shoulder in a manner that caused the burned or unburned granules several feet through the air. Two years ago I asked a shooting range club to consider changing their rule against using black powder ammunition during a burn ban, and they made the change very quickly.

I'm just curious, but I would like to know if you have seen grass ignited that way, or if you know of testing that would shed some light on this. I'm looking forward to seeing your answers.

Thanks,

David

Frog
09-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Dave, several years back I was sitting on the steps of the tower at Ft. Shenandoah (a host team worker) watching the 25 yard smoothbore shooters when a fire started at the 25 yard line beside the frame. We were in a drought at the time and the grass was very short and sparce. The fire burned about a 5 foot circle and went out on its own due to no fuel. This is the first and last time I have witnessed this. Here in Virginia we have documented more woods fires that were caused by steel core modern ammo than black powder or black powder substitutes.

pastore
09-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Back in the early 70's ,at the Swamp Rat skirmish in March, a fire started during the musket match. It was near the end of the event. As soon as the line was cleared we went out and stomped the fire out. No big deal.

DAVE FRANCE
09-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Thank you Frog,

I was at a skirmish in Michigan where grass fires were started by the lube some were using in their muskets. Maybe it was the lube in the smoothbores that started it. Thank you very much.

David

Eggman
09-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I have never seen a grass fire started by black powder by its lonesome. I have seen MANY grass fires started by burning patches from patched round balls. And I believe these are still common (the patched round balls I mean) for ML hunters --- and are the real hazzard. On THIS basis restriction might be justified. I don't believe BP behind a minie or maxie or REAL bullet, in other words BP loads without cloth or paper, are any more hazardous than a modern bullet. I think a grass fire started by a lube is a dubious concept unless you're using napalm as a lube.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
09-05-2011, 09:34 AM
The problem of possible grass fires is due to burning embers of powder being expelled on firing the gun. We all have witnessed those "sparks" from the muzzle when we shoot. What do we think they really are? Those are the same things that cause cookoffs. So, yes, you could staet a grass fire by shooting a BP arm at the worng time and in the wrong place.

RaiderANV
09-05-2011, 01:41 PM
I've seen it happen many ah time,,,,mostly the round ball shooters out hunting and using WAY TO MUCH powder or three pellets and there is just no way all that will burn in the barrel and
comes out burn right to the ground. I've seen most of the third pellet(pyrodex) land 40 yards in front of the shooter still burning. So yeah,,,,there are several ways you could start a fire with you musket.

tmont
09-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi, Dave. Yes, happened to me last year at our local range. I was firing at 50 yard line when fire started about 10 feet in front of the firing line. It was me. Probably ignited the dry grass and loads of unburned/partially burned powder in the grass immediately in front of the line. Myself and another shooter were the only BP shooters on the line at the time.

DAVE FRANCE
09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks very much!

David