PDA

View Full Version : Maynard ammo vs. humidity

Bob Bumleg
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Even though I keep my loaded Maynard ammo in plastic boxes I MUST tape over the flash holes. Humid days render my ammo useless if I don't do it. It happened to me at a Regional where the ammo worked fine in the morning at individuals, but wouldn't fire in the afternoon during the match. I later took the powder out of the cases, dried it in the sun, reloaded it again, and it worked fine. Common problem?

Frog
08-31-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't bother with tape. Just smear some "LUBE" in the touch holes to seal them. Works for me. I have used ammo that was loaded 3 months prior with no problems.

REDMAN
08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
I've never had a problem with my MANYARD rounds Bob. It must be the Gin and Tonics or Margarita's you drink while loading that make the difference

Lou Lou Lou
09-01-2011, 07:11 AM
He drinks? That explains a lot!

RaiderANV
09-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I've fired ammo that I've loaded as many as ten years ago and it worked just fine.

rachbobo
09-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I had similar problems with the powder flask for my flintlocks. I solved it by taking a dessicant pack that usually comes with electronics and other things today and put it in the flask.
I made a clip like retainer to hold it in the bottom and it works real well.
I also put a few in any container I store molds and dies in.

Bill Cheek

Eddie Bruner, 12222
09-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Im with PJ on this, I shoot ammo loaded years back with no problems.

Charlie Hahn
09-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Bob,

The issue might be the plastic cases. When loading any ammo, there is a humidity variable. With temperature cycling the air in the case gains and
looses it's ability to retain the moisture. The powder we use is extremely hydroscopic. Due to the design of the ammo with an open vent hole, it has the ability to wick moisture from the little storm going on inside the plastic case. You can add a vent hole, or a desiccant pack in each box. This should
normalize the atmosphere.

Charlie Hahn

Scott Kurki, 12475
09-20-2011, 01:48 PM
For moisture free ammo storage, try a military ammo can and desiccant. You will be sure that any issues are not moisture related.

ms3635v
09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Bob,

I have been shooting my original Maynard since 1987. I have not changed the powder charge or bullet in all of those years. I use the brass cases and store them in the plastic 20 gauge shotgun shell boxes (25 to a box). I have never had to put tape over the flash holes, and some rounds sit until the next year with no failures. If you are having problems with powder coming out of the flash hole, just put the cartridges nose down in your storage box and then repeat the process when putting the rounds in your cartridge boxes. My son-in-law shoots a Smith and uses the black plastic cases and stores the rounds the same way I do with my Maynard cartridges and has had no failures for the five years he has shot the Smith, and once again, some of his rounds remain in the plastic boxes until the next skirmish season. He also does not put anything over the flash hole.

snapcap14
09-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Bob Best not to leave them out in the rain in an open container. the team has told you time and time again you can not use the Maynard rounds in your Richmond Carbine.

NickSS
10-02-2011, 08:42 PM
I have loaded Smith ammo and left it for several years in a leather cartridge box with wood liner. The ammo was loaded in plastic cqrtridges with a square of tissue under the powder nose down in the box. I took them out and fired all 20 rounds with no problems at all. I live in an area that is humid for most of the year so at least my Smith does not have this problem.