PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Confederate Sharps gas check modification

casewhite41
01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a Pedersoli Confederate / Robinson Sharps purchased new from Dixie Gun Works in October 2008. It has a fixed sleeve with the chromed gas check plate and 2 of the “wave’ spring washers between the plate and the block.

Using 50 grains of loose powder, I was able to fire the gun 7 times before the action froze up. I spoke with Charlie Hahn and might try his short sleeve and O-ring modification. I also like Southron Sr’s o-ring mod behind the gas check plate since it’s simpler and less expensive.

A friend of mine has an original 1863 Sharps percussion carbine which he shoots with little or no problem with regard to the action freezing up. We compared the 2 designs for the gas check plate and found few similarities. The original Sharps check plate has a wide-mouthed inverted cone protruding from the back of the plate which captures and redirects the gas back against the plate forcing the plate to move forward against the sleeve. This may be imperfect but it seems to work pretty on his original Sharps.

My Pedersoli on the other hand has a flat surfaced, straight cut protrusion on the back of the check plate with a small flash-hole cut through the center of it. The way the plate is designed it will not capture any of the escaping gas and it depends only on the pressure of the wave springs (useless) or o-rings to force the plate forward against the sleeve.

I’m sure this isn’t news to long time members of this board who are familiar with the Sharps; but, as a newcomer I was surprised to see such a patent disregard of Sharps’ original concept.

Have any of the reproductions ever used Christian Sharps’ original design for the cone on the back of the gas check plate? Why was this design abandoned – expense of manufacture?

Can anyone recommend a proven “fix” for the gas leakage problem and some of the better gunsmiths who are good at fixing this problem?

Thanks, Casewhite

Wayne M Clark
01-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I believe the cone shaped design you have described in your post to be very similar to the design as used by the Shiloh company. Shiloh carbines work very well reason being they use a zero tolerance in their manufacture between breech block and gas check. No slop. If you need a new gas check for a Shiloh, they request it be returned to their factory.
The Pedersoli company has changed their system as well. In an attempt to correct a gas check errosion problem the gas check has been what appears to be chrome and now is movable. The chamber sleeve is now pressed or fixed in place. The washers as many describe , I believe are actually shims used in an attempt by Pedersoli to eliminate a tolerance in manufacture of the breech block/ gas check. Obviously not a cure.
How does Southron Sr do his modifciation? It would probably save others a lot of wasted effort if he would share his experience as his modification seems to be a success.
W. Clark