PDA

View Full Version : Bullet mold for Garrett sharps

Des
04-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I have a Garrett Sharps carbine and bought a Rapine ringtail mold in 54 caliber. After casting the bullet in pure lead found measurements of first band .525, second band .535 and third .545. The problem is my barrel measures .521 and .536. Any recommendations for bullet / mold?

Southron Sr.
04-05-2008, 05:11 AM
Most Sharps bullet moulds have bands that are of slightly different diameters. If you are sure of your measurements, then I would suggest that you contact the mould manufacturer, Ray Rapine and ask for his guidance. Mr. Rapine is a fine gentleman and I am sure he could answer any questions you have.

John Holland
04-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Des -

The Sharps bullet you have is a copy of the original Sharps bullet, and will work just fine in your Sharps. The reason for the 3 different diameters is because Sharps recognized the fact that their quality control on consistent bore diameter was poor at best. Bore diameters ran from .52 to .54, hence the redesigned bullet you now have. It was a guarantee that it would fit any arm produced. It is known in some circles as the "Christmas Tree" bullet, because of the taper. After the Civil War, when the Gov't was having box cars full of Sharps Carbines converted to .50-70 cartridge, if the bore diameter was .52 the arm was only rechambered, and if the bore diameter was over .52 the arm was sleeved to .50 caliber. Over the years I have played around with both types. The ".52-70" (actual terminology) was OK for man-sized targets with a .518 bullet. The ones that were sleeved to .50 caliber were very accurate. A quick check, if you are buying an original .50-70 Sharps, is to look at the bore. If it has the original Sharps multi-groove bore it was only rechambered, and is oversize by todays standards. This variation can be found in both the Rifle and the Carbine.

John Holland
Sharps Collectors Ass'n
Life Member

Des
04-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I understand the principle of the increasing diameter of the bullet but question using a bullet larger than the bore diameter by .009. I was always taught .002 max oversize hence my reluctance to use this mold.

R. McAuley 3014V
04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
CENSORED

cannoneerfour
04-06-2008, 08:58 PM
i have a Garrett Sharps and the biggest problem i found is that they tend to have VERY short chambers ...

the old Ideal mould casts a bullet with smaller bands which will allow you enough room to get enough powder behind the bullet

don't know how much trouble you may have in finding one

ed moore
10th mass btty

Des
04-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Ed,

Thanks for the info. It appears to be short chambered but until I find a bullet that fits I will not know exactly what it is. Do you know what your barrel measures as far as lands and grooves? Also if you know the mold number you use that could be helpful. Always wanted a percussion Sharps, made a choice between this Sharps and an original Smith. Beginning to think it was a bad choice.

Des Donnelly

snapcap14
04-07-2008, 12:38 PM
try the NEI #381 it is a short bullet. works well. if you want to try a few email or PM me w/ and address will send a few out to you.

Charlie Hahn
04-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Des,

If you are at the Fort this weekend, I could take a look at it for you. I have several bullet options that work well. You made a good selection with the Sharps.

Charlie Hahn
13 th Conf Inf
410-208-4736
410-627-4726 cell

cannoneerfour
04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
sorry it took so long to reply, it's a busy time of year ..

all my records state is that the mould i borrowed said:

IDEAL
557 489

it's a standard ringtail Sharps bullet, not any shorter, but the rings are pretty much the same diameter (not "stepped" as much as the usual moulds are, and the lowest one is much smaller than a standard Sharps) so it fits into the chamber better

ed moore

Des
04-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Charlie,

Wish I could take you up on your offer but I will not make it up there until May { just joined and it will be my maiden voyage}. I just keep checking eveywhere I can for a mold that casts a bullet at about .538 to .540.

I still have a Smith to use.

Thanks

Des
04-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Ed,

Thanks for getting back with me on the numbers. Will keep looking for a mold