PDA

View Full Version : "Dances with Wolves" and the Sharps

Eggman
08-21-2011, 04:40 PM
The recent discussion about the efficacy of the Sharps carbine induced me to review how Holliwood views that fabled weapon. Of course there is no better source than the vaunted "Dances with Wolves," Kevin Costner's epic depiction of white/red relations on the Civil War era frontier. The movie was lauded for its historical accuracy. And in no other movie does the Sharps play so prominent a role.
Reference to the Sharps first occurs when Costner's character, Lt. John Dunbar, arrives at his frontier post in the Dakota Badlands. Dunbar finds no one at the post and decides as a first thing to bury several cases of new Sharps carbines out on the Dakota prairie, which might indicate the lieutenant had had some previous experience with the carbine. The actual carbine does not appear until much later, Dunbar contenting himself with a buffalo killing Henry rifle.
Later after Dunbar is adopted by a band of Sioux Indians, his village is threatened by a platoon of bloodthirsty Pawnees while all the village warriors are at that time away raiding some other Pawnees. Dunbar was left in charge. All that remains to defend the village ares women, children, old men, and Dunbar. Fretting about what to do, Dunbar thinks of the subterrainian Sharps carbines, stating, and I here paraphrase, "A Sioux armed with a Sharps carbine is worth two Pawnees armed with sticks." Dunbar and a Sioux teenager named "Smiles a lot" retrieve the carbines in time for the battle.
The Pawnees are well into the village before the Sioux open with the Sharps. Dunbar opts to fight with his Colt and a knife leaving the Henry in a teepee with his girlfriend. Here there may be a slight problem with credibility. They show much Sharps firing with nary a misfire; but on the other hand, no one is ever shown trying to open a breach or reloading.
The Sharps next appears when Dunbar is being taken to Fort Hays for hanging by the U.S. Army for changins sides. He is in the back of a wagon guarded by a detachment of Army troopers all armed with Sharps carbines. Along the way Dunbar's pet wolf, "Two Socks," plops down on a hillside to watch the procession. I would estimate "Two Sock's" roost to be between 50 and 100 yards from the troopers. The troopers then begin shooting at the wolf, seventeen times by my count, before they hit him. Now albeit these were soldiers; I firmly believe it would take an average N-SSA Sharps shooter no more than thirteen or fourteen rounds to make an equivilant shot.
Overall I would say the movie did a very fair depiction of frontier Dakota and the armament therein.

Michael T.
08-21-2011, 06:35 PM
You haven't seen my son-in-law Brad shoot his Sharps Carbine, wolf may not have lasted for a second shot...

Southron Sr.
08-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Dear Eggman:

I have the "Dances With Wolves" DVD and the exact quote from Lt. Dunbar is:

"A Sioux armed with a Sharps carbine is worth two Pawnees armed with sticks; or four Pawnees armed with Maynards."

Your Caring and Compassionate
Movie Review Friend.

Southron, Sr.

RaiderANV
08-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Dear Eggman:

I have the "Dances With Wolves" DVD and the exact quote from Lt. Dunbar is:

"...........; or four Pawnees armed with Maynards."

Southron, Sr.

Geez,,,,,,that was prudy low thar Southron :cry:

Southron Sr.
08-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Everyone knows that those pesky Pawnees couldn't shoot worth a heck. Maybe that is what Lt. Dunbar was referring to.

Eggman
08-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Well I examined the other Civil War production featuring the Sharps over the weekend, "The Outlaw Josie Wales." Here Clint Eastwood puts a positive spin on the gun by firing a huge Sharps buffalo rifle at a rope towing a ferry covered with Redlegs across the Missouri. By using a long brass telescope Clint was able to sever the tow rope at a distance of about ten or eleven yards. This may be the ticket for N-SSA Sharps lovers. Did Sharps make 200 of these for Civil War use? I would guess they would probably be legal only for the musket match as they're about eight feet long.

rachbobo
08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I'll have to rewatch the scene where Lt Dunbar saves Smiles a lot from the charging wounded buffalo to try to judge distance, but that scene was a crock.
Lt Dunbar misses on his first two shots, then digs in his spurs, flips up the tang sight and drops the charging wounded buffalo with a 44 rim fire round ?
If the range he fired at was let's say 25 yards, well then maybe. But if it was that close, why flip up the tang sight.
Or did Lt Dunbar have an experimental 45-70 he was testing for the government.

Bill Cheek