PDA

View Full Version : Is there an attorney in the house?

cannonmn
08-19-2011, 03:06 AM
One of the things I do is to moderate the Company of Military Historians Forum. We have an ongoing discussion there which began with an article about the newly-discovered Camp Lawton, GA. and items being found there. It somehow escalated into a discussion about the legality of relic-hunting, selling recovered relics, etc. One poster is quite adamant that relic-hunting even on private land with the owner's permission isn't right, and recovered artifacts are in fact looted personal or government property, and their sale constitutes an illegal black market (or something like that.) I've tried to paraphrase what he wrote, but it would be better if you read it yourself, here: http://gs19.inmotionhosting.com/~milita ... read/11877 (http://gs19.inmotionhosting.com/~milita8/cmh/member/member.cgi/read/11877)

I'd particularly like to find an NSSA member who is an attorney who'd be willing to comment on the legal correctness (or not) of what he's written.

cannonmn
08-19-2011, 11:09 PM
You can now read the comments of one attorney who has commented on arms, accouterments, and fired artillery projectiles. I contacted a couple of other attorney-collectors who may comment in the near future.

threepdr
09-05-2011, 07:14 PM
John,

I am not an attorney, but I am an archaeologist who works for the US Government. Archeological resources are only protected by the US government on Government owned or controlled land. His common law arguments just are not supportable. Archaeological is not limited to pre-historic sites, but also includes historic sites that have sub-surface (below ground) artifacts and features. Those sites are protected on Govt land mainly by the Archeological Resources Protection Act and others. ARPA is what the Park Service will use to prosecute you if you are caught relic hunting on CW battlefields. Private land hunting, with the permission of the owner is not illegal. I've never heard of the US govt laying claim to CW artifacts as "lost property." Ship wrecks are a completely different story and are protected by several other laws and regulations.