PDA

View Full Version : Civil war issue rifle or private purchase?

54thvareb
08-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Did the Union army issue Dimick rifles during the Civil War? My gg grandfather was in the 20th Illinois Infantry, Company K. He was mustered in the summer of 1864. Joined Sherman's march through Georgia. I think he guarded Confederate prisoners for most of his service. He was near forty years old and mustered in from Columbia, Illinois area, near St. Louis. The rifle he brought home was a H.R. Dimick, .45 caliber, double triggers model. His name was William Sole. Thanks Rick

Southron Sr.
08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
By 1864 a literal flood of brand new, Springfield and brand new, contractor made Springfields was being delivered to the Yankee Ordnance Department on a daily basis. So many brand new rifles were available, many veteran Yankee units turned in their used but still serviceable rifle muskets and received brand new Springfields as replacements.

Most likely your ancestor was issued a Springfield by the army and the Dimick Rifle was a "souvenir" he brought home from the war.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
08-16-2011, 09:42 PM
The 1862 4th quarter returns of the 20th Illinois show the following arms issued to the regiment:

M1816 "altered" smoothbore muskets caliber .69 - 101
M1816 muskets, altered to percussion and rifled, caliber .69 -12
M1855 / 61 rifle muskets, caliber .58 -76
M1842moothbore musket, caliber .69 -32
Enfield rifle muskets, caliber .577 -33

The 66th Illinois, aka Western Sharpshooters were armed with the Dimmick Target and Sporting Rifle, 233 being carried in the 4th quarter of 1862.
Later in the war, the some soldiers of the 66th purchased Henry rifles, but 13 Dimmicks were still be carried as late as the 4th quarter report of 1864.

Source for the above is Ken Baumann's book " Arming the Suckers".

Phil

Southron Sr.
08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Dear Phil:

Thanks for providing the correct information! I am somewhat amazed that as late as 1864 Yankee troops were still carrying an assortment of obsolete arms. Apparently the Ordnance Department was storing a lot of those brand new Springfields in warehouses rather than issuing them out to troops in the field.

I have references that indicate that many of Sherman's troops turned in their Enfields and other well used arms and received Springfields in the latter part of 1864.