PDA

View Full Version : Sharps Carbine Repro Ques.

dimas
01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm looking for a little guidance. I am wanting to purchase a reproduction Sharps carbine. I'm wondering what is a good one to buy new for a fun, reliable shooter that wont break the bank. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Scott Lynch 1460V
01-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Having had three repops, Taylors & Co. Pedersoli, and IAB if you want a no hassle sharps that is ready to go, spend the money and get a Shiloh. You never have to appologise for quality. All of the others need O-ring Jobs, Chamber jobs, work on or replacement of the breech block etc. in order for them to shoot more than 10 shots with out seizing up.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
+1 on what Scott said about Shiloh quality and performance.

Edwin Flint, 8427
01-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Ditto Greg and Scott. Shiloh worth the extra you pay.

Shiloh_54_military
03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
If you have a problem with a Shiloh, you can get in touch with the folks in Big Timber Montana they will get it fixed. If you have problems with an Italian copy, ...??? ...!!!

Charlie Hahn
03-03-2009, 07:23 AM
I agree with the Shiloh commnets, however sometimes the cost is an issue. The ARMI SPORT models offer value as they have parts that have reasonable tolerances, and the fits are good. A used Garrett is also a good value, as the Pedersoli models. I would avoid IAB units unless the price is very low. They need considerable fitting work and the tumbler usually does not have a fly like the others. The New Robinson has some improvements in the sealing area with the rounded botton surface on the pressure plate makes it easy to take apart. As for breech block or o-ring work, all guns mentioned show improvement when this is done for the type of shooting we do. I know of a few Shilohs that shoot with no modifications, however my shop has seen a large number of guns come through for a change.
As for the o-ring modifcation, they are not not all created equal. When considering this change look for examples, and make sure the o-ring is protected from the gases. Any o-ring in the pressure plate area is only going to provide limited improvement, (personal experience) and in time will promote etching.
As for cost to modify the barrel for an o-ring, in my shop you are looking at $130, and this will include cleaning up the breech block, providing there is only limited etching from use. Part numbers for o-rings are provided, and support also come with the service.

Hope this helps

Charlie Hahn

Jim Wimbish, 10395
03-03-2009, 07:46 AM
I have owned a number of Sharps including several Italians and a Shiloh. The chamber job is not a big deal and results in a much better sealing breech.

Of the Italian guns, I have owned an IAB carbine and a Pedersoli Sharps rifle. The quality on the IAB wasn't great, but with a chamber job you could shoot it all day and never have a sticky breech. Lock parts had a somewhat sloppy fit and I had to have Hoyt reline the barrel. The wood didn't look great either. But after the work, it shot great.

I still have the Pedersoli rifle. It really didn't need a thing. It had a great breech fit and never fouled. I went ahead and had a chamber job done on it since I was getting the IAB done. Quality on the Pedersoli is excellent and it shoots great.

As for the Shiloh, it doesn't seal as well as either of the Italian guns with the chamber job and needs some occassional cleaning when shooting. So did the originals. It is a beautifully made gun and faithful to the original design. Fit and finish are excellent. Clearly a superior gun to any of the Italian reproductions in quality.

With a chamber job, you get a better shooting gun regardless of whether you buy an Italian copy Sharps or a Shiloh. I really enjoyed all three of these Sharps. I certainly wouldn't rule out the Pedersoli, if you can find a good deal. The IAB took a lot more work, but eventually turned out to be a good gun.

All that being said, if you have the money get a Maynard. You'll never regret it. If I had to pick one carbine to shoot, it would be a Maynard.