PDA

View Full Version : Book on 1841 Springfields - Mississippi's

Scott Kurki, 12475
08-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Does anyone know of a comprehensive book on Mississippi's like the book dedicated to the Richmond like Paul J. Davies' book C.S. Armory, Richmond ?

Blair
08-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Scott,

Perhaps you should know Springfield does not make any M-1841 Rifles.
These were all made at either Harpers Ferry or one of several other contracters under Harpers Ferry directions.
Please note, I am basing this info off of your title for this thread.

mikea
08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
If there is such a book I would love to get a copy! The closest thing I am aware of is a book on Harpers Ferry that has some information on and B&W photos of guns produced there, including the Model 1841.
The title is "The Southern Arsenal - Harpers Ferry" by James Whisker. Track of the Wolf lists it on their web site. Most of the book is about the history and management of the place, lists of workers, etc.
Anyone know of a better source?

Southron Sr.
08-10-2011, 07:44 AM
There is a book I am familiar with titled:

"Harpers Ferry and the New Technology"

It pretty well ignores the models of arms produced at Harpers Ferry but delves into the technological and social revolutions brought about by the establishment and functioning of the U.S. Armory in an isolated Southern town. That being said, it would give you a good background on the armory where the Mississippi was designed and produced.

One Superintendent of the Armory was actually murdered while in office, so during the "Armory Era" things were anything but tranquil in the town of Harpers Ferry-and this way before John Brown and his band of whackos showed up in 1859.

You should be able to get the book thru your local public libraries "Inter-library Loan Program."

John Holland
08-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Scott -

The very simple answer to your question is an emphatic "No!" I say emphatic because there have been quite a few people over the years who have professed to have "...a book in the works..." on Mississippi Rifles. This is going back some 35+ years in my memory, and to date not a one of them is willing to put in print what they actually know. There are a number of reasons for it, from not really wanting to share the secrets of extremely rare versions, to the book would never be completly inclusive of all variants therefore why publish it.

In the meantime, those of us who love the Mississippi Rifle sit and wait....and wait.....

JDH