PDA

View Full Version : Need a gunsmith to cut barrel for Snell Bayonet

FTrooperAgain
08-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Who do you guys recommend? I have two .54 M1841 Euroarms that need to have Benton Screw Sights added and the barrels notched for Phil Spaugy M1854 Snell Bayonets.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
08-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Chris I'm sure you can get some sound advise on who can do this for you here. If you let us all know where you live it may aid in locating your person. Do you need a SAC Spec page for this Mississippi? If so let me know at wdsmas@aol.com Wayne Shaw Harlan's Light Cav, SAC

FTrooperAgain
08-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Location is not an issue. We will mail the two rifles anywhere in the USA to get this done right. I'd like a person who has done this before. I know that Lodgewood had a guy at one time, but when I called they directed me to someone else when I asked and while that person's services are usually beyond question, when I called he was completely unfamiliar with the "Snell" or "Ring Type" sword bayonet modification (which did not instill alot of confidence for this particular project). In addition, a company, or person, who can do a good defarb job at the same time would be a big plus.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop

08-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Does someone make a good repro Snell bayonet?

RaiderANV
08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Hasn't been a nice one since Phil made his back in early 80's I think. The one ya find now isn't even close

aafjack
08-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Dan Whitacre Whitacre's Machine Shop in Winchester has done this type of work before for a fellow team member. His number is 540 877-1468

Jack Harper, 8th VA

FTrooperAgain
08-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Glenn: To reiterate, Phil had about 100-200 made in the 1990's and they sold fast. I found this by "accident" when one came up for sale about a year ago and I missed it. After research and contacting Mr. Spaugy direct I posted here and actually ended up with TWO (each costing a very pretty penny, but they are AMAZING). I resold one to my best friend. We have tried several times in the last year to acquire at least one more, but those three seem to have been in for the time being. All I can suggest is put some money away and keep vigilant and hopeful.

Jack, I was given Dan's information from another source, but when I called Dan he said he was unfamiliar with the modification and cuts?! That was a bit surprising. He's my backup plan.

Thanks guys, so far this is helpful.

Chris Fischer

08-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks very much for the info. Do these bayonets fit on our skirmishing muskets, with their over-sized front sights?

aafjack
08-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Chris, I'm surprised Dan Whitacre didn't remember doing the modification but it has been 3 + years. My team mate shoots a Mississippi with a Benton Screw Sight and had Dan make the necessary cuts to have SAC approve it. You can check with Ed Nicodemus who owns the gun but I'm pretty sure he had Dan do the work. Ed's email address is enicodemus@msbs.net

Jack Harper, 8th VA

Blair
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Chris,

The SAC has spec sheets available for the Benton Screw Sight Alteration of the M-1841, this also includes dimensional drawings for the muzzle cuts needed for the Snell sword/saber type bayonet.
Dan may not have recognized the terminology?
Just the same, it would be best to send the barrel and the bayonet to whom ever you find to do the job. This will assure a much better fit.
Blair

Charlie Hahn
08-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi Chris,

I am doing one for a team mate of mine and will have the process refined shortly. I would be willing to help you once I make all my mistakes on his original Mississippi, after all he is much smaller than me;o)

If you are interested give me a call

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

RaiderANV
08-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Charlie,,,,most of us are smaller then you,,,,that being said.... Green

Chris,,,,, I'd recommend ya send them to Charlie. The modification is pretty straight forward, he has the spec. sheet & he'd have no problem with it I'm sure as I've seen his metal magic. I don't have the time to get to it. Back when I sold ya the bayonet I did. :cry: As I told you before it REALLY PAYS to have the bayonet inhand when the work is done no matter who does it. This way it can be fit tight to the barrel as that will make a HUGE difference.

I'd thought Phil only did approx. 50 of these hence there scarce and have become very pricey ta boot. I saw one at a gun show and the guy was asking $495 without the frog. :shock: