PDA

View Full Version : Garrett vs Shiloh Sharps

Mike McDaniel
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm mulling over buying a Sharps carbine. Which is better, the Shiloh or the Garrett Arms? Thanks.

Blair
08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Mike,

In my honest opinion, there is no comparison. Shiloh Sharps Rifles and Carbines are the best of the best of repro Sharps!

Garrett offered a functional Lawrence primer system within the lock design, that Shiloh did not. You could not use that in N-SSA competition (even if you could find them at a reasonably affordable price)... so there was no advantage to the extra machining cost being placed or added onto the price of the firearms.
Cool? Yes! but as useless a tits on a bore hog.
Blair

Dwambaugh
08-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Mike,

I have the exact opposite opinion of Blair (sorry Blair!) I've owned three Garretts, two Shilohs, and one original Sharps and I find the Shilohs to be over-sized and clunky compared to the Garretts and the originals. The Garrett has the same weight, dimensions, and "feel" as the original, whereas the Shilohs, while nice weapons (and certainly nowhere near as bad as an Italian-made Sharps) feel heavy and bulky with poor contours and lines. To me there is no substitute for the Garretts, and yes, with a Shiloh you will be paying top dollar for a weapon that with its solid lock and no primer system is not a copy of an original, but a reproduction with at least one corner cut. (Though I do agree with Blair that it serves no purpose for our 21st century shooting!) But when we're talking about the multi-thousand dollar price point for a firearm, I want it to be all the way there, without any highly visible drawbacks.

So for what it's worth, I will always choose a Garrett when it comes to a Sharps rifle or carbine. The next trick is finding one...

Dan

Southron Sr.
08-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Now, to further complicate the "Sharps Controversy" I have owned two original Sharps, a Shiloh Sharps and a Pedersoli Sharps Carbine.

The Pedersoli is the BEST OF THE LOT.

I did have to do an "O" ring job on my Pedersoli that cost me around $20.00 (plus the cost of the O Rings.)

Garret Sharps are few and far between because they have been out of production for decades. The modern Shiloh company, for the most part, produces cartridge Sharps Buffalo Rifles and only occasionally do a run of percussion Sharps. So, Shiloh percussion carbines are sometimes hard to find.

The Pedersoli Sharps Carbine has the advantage of still being in production and can be ordered from Dixie Gun Works or other dealers.

I literally have fired thousands of rounds thru both Shiloh and Pedersoli percussion Sharps and the Pedersoli is more accurate.

RaiderANV
08-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Plus one for the Garrett :!:

Ron/The Old Reb
08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I love my Garrett. It' a pain in the butt to clean, but I would never sell it. They can bury it with me. 8)

P.Altland
08-07-2011, 09:52 AM
+1 for the Garrett. There's one for sale on Auction Arms right now.
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... m=10485068 (http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10485068)

Eggman
08-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Ron - I don't think burying it is such a bad idea, but with a little luck you might be able to sell it.

Michael T.
08-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Whats the matter Eggman does he out shoot you with it??? Trying to talk the wife into going back to Statesville in Nov... Mike 4th Kentucky

Blair
08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Eggman,

Now, I got to say, that you have the right idea!

Ron/The Old Reb
08-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Ya I know they bring a good price today. Besides some clown would dig me up to steal it. :cry:

Blair
08-07-2011, 04:55 PM
I have no problem with some clown digging me up after I gone.
I just hope they do it so something other than trying to recover a Garrett Sharps!

Eggman
08-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Since the string progressed to the subject of digging up folks, mention must be made of Col. William Shy who was pinned to a tree by a Union bayonet at the Battle of Nashville. Shy's family retrieved the body and had the undertaker properly prepare him for burial in the family cemetery. In the 70's (1970's) some of our illustrious relic collectors dug him up for the uniform loot. Whoops - the family had buried him in black formal dress with no uniform items present. The diggers abandoned the site with Shy half out of the iron coffin. Then the real fun began. Shy was preserved with arsenic, and that plus the iron coffin left the body in pristine shape. Local law thought some killers were trying to hide a NEW body in an old grave, but had been scared off before finishing the caper. Off to UT at knoxville went Shy to the world famous forensics lab where he was decared the original Shy, in remarkable shape. He was reburried with honors and the original coffin placed at the Carter museum at Franklin.

xring2245
08-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Which is better, the Shiloh or the Garrett Arms?

I have a Garrett and have had it for 12 years or so. It is a fine weapon. I do not own any other CW Sharps, so I cannot compare them. The Garrett is extremely well made and looks to be an exact copy of a friend's original. This is my $ .02 worth...

James