PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Mtn Rifle

1st Lit Arty
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
HI all

I am making a confederate mtn rifle. I have a tube made by the late Bernie Kurdt with the 3 sawtooth rifling (shows how long I have been making it). Using the "air rifle pellet" projectile what should I size the projectile to?

Also, would hard or soft lead be the best way to go? Bear in mind I have 1200lbs of hard lead in my yard in the form of a sailboat keel so I am thinking hard lead with a thinner skirt. Any ideas about this?

Thanks in advance

Andy Sinkleris
118thPVI

cannonmn
01-06-2009, 02:12 AM
I've always been told by folks who have made and used a lot of "trash can" projectiles that soft lead is the way to go, so that's what I've used and have had no trouble. Make the front thick enough so it won't "blow through" too easily, I'd suggest at least 3/4 inch thick in front if possible.

Since when the cannon is fired, the lead expands quickly to fit the bore, the exact amount of windage isn't critical as far as I can tell, I'd go with typical CW artillery windage which I think was 0.040 inches for field guns. Since lead deforms easily you need to keep the soft projectiles in some kind of protective tube until loading.

Jamie West has built many molds for these projectiles, see if you can get hold of him to get his latest thoughts on what works best.