PDA

View Full Version : Custom pistol grips

rachbobo
07-31-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm working on my 1858 Remington getting it in shape and I have a question to ask.
The grips are too small for my hand, it makes for a clumsy grip.
All metal/mechanical specs have to meet N-SSA rules, I understand that but do they apply to custom grips I'm going to carve for it to better fit my hand.
I wrapped a towel around the grip to fill it out and I have a much better feel and control when squeezing the trigger

Bill Cheek

John Holland
07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Grip Length Tolerance - +/- 0.125" (Measured from the flat bottom of the grip in a vertical line straight up to the highest part of the wood grip.)

Grip Width Tolerance - +/- 0.125" (Measured across the bottom of the grips at the center.)

JDH
SAC

rachbobo
07-31-2011, 05:58 PM
John,
Thanks for the info. I can make them .125 wider at the base or go even smaller.
What I want to do is fatten up the middle part to fit my hand better.
Total height will not change and when I fatten up the middle it will not excede the.125 dimension of the base of the grip.
I'm going to carve them anyway and if they do not pass muster, well it will take me less than 1 minute to put the original grips back on and I'll take my chances.

Bill Cheek

hp gregory, 9128
08-09-2011, 12:42 PM
instead of making new grips you could take a section of very thin wood and make a gasket so to speak to go between the grip and the frame to space the grip out ever so slightly. but you still have to stay within the specs. once you have it like you want it glue it in place. if you use the proper wood and stain it should look ok. i would think this would be legal if the proper thickness is kept. if not john will let us know. hp

rachbobo
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
I laid the 1858 Remington and a 1851 Colt Navy side by side on a table. The heigth top to bottom and width front to rear at the bottom are almost identical.
The Coly Navy fits my hand much better than the Remington. The difference is half way the grip.
The Colt Navy is about .080 fatter in width and almost .200 longer front to rear.
I plan on carving a new set of grips staying within the specs for heigth and width at the base, I just plan of fattening up the middle to better fit my hand the way the Colt Navy does.

Bill Cheek