PDA

View Full Version : General Question About Rifle Musket Barrels

Bob Riley
07-23-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm getting acquainted with my Euroarms C.S Richmond rifle musket, purchased earlier this year. It took a bit of work to get it range-ready... when it was brand new, it would not hold full-cock with the lock in the stock. I eventually found the trigger was too high, and I had to take it down a bit.

Anyway, I've had it out at least a couple of times now for live fire. I have been shooting the 460 gr. "Old Style" minies, with ~60gr. of Swiss FFg. I lube the bullets with Dixie's "Old Zip" patch grease in the grease grooves and base cavity, and push the balls through a .575" sizer. Fouling has not been an issue. I shot fifteen shots in about 40 minutes yesterday, without wiping. The last round loaded as easily as the first.

However, even with the first round in a clean barrel, there seems to be a rough spot about 1" above where the bullet seats, and you really have to push the rod hard to get the bullet past that point. Once you get past the rough place, it feels like the bore opens up, or gets bigger, and the bullet seats. It's tough to get a jag and patch past that spot when cleaning, too... and even harder to pull it back out!

Just looking at the color of the metal, it appears there is a "monoblock" of some sort for the breech and bolster, with the breech plug screwed in the nether end, and the barrel tube joined on somehow a little way forward of the bolster. I think the "rough spot" is at this transition zone, where the barrel is joined to the monoblock. I guess the chamber in the breech block must be a larger diameter than the bore, and it may not be rifled, which would explain why the ball seats so easily after you get it past the rough spot. Maybe it's a tight spot, and the ball swages down a little when it passes through, I don't know.

So, here are the questions. Has anybody else experienced this? Is it a common problem? Does this gun need professional help, or will it smooth up with use, or do I just need to live with it? How is the barrel joined to the monoblock/breech block, anyway... welded, soldered, screwed in...?

All comments appreciated.

Much obliged,

Bob Riley

Southron Sr.
07-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Sounds like you have something that should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty-unfortunately, Euroarms has just closed down. Check back with the retailer you purchased the Richmond from and see what help he can offer you.

Eggman
07-24-2011, 03:39 PM
This problem has been experienced many times in the past usually with the low end import muzzleloaders. The breech plug and barrel are misaligned. This functionally has the same effect as a bore obstruction which typically leads to a burst barrel (yes this is meant to scare you). You need a competent muzzleloading gunsmith the pull the breech as soon as possible. Then the breech to barrel fit must be reworked; you probably need to look for a new breech and so that it's fitted properly and there is NO BREAK of any kind, or obstruction of any kind, anywhere down the bore to its VERY END.
I have a beautifully made Euroarms Enfield and a Euroarms Rogers and Spencer, both beautifully made. I am completely befuddled by your description. Are you sure this gun was not put together in somebody's garage??

Bob Riley
07-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the comments. I also received a very detailed and informative PM from one of the brethren, and I'm gaining a better understanding. We'll probably send the barrel, maybe even the whole gun, off for some fixing up. Before that, though, I hope to locate an obliging local shooting enthusiast with a bore scope we can poke down there to evaluate the problem, but I don't know if they make bore scopes long enough for this application. I do know a couple of gastroenterologists where I work, but I don't know if they are shooters... Hmm...

Much obliged,

Bob Riley