PDA

View Full Version : Smif problem

David Kennard 12146
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
All,
Headed out to do a bit of sighting my Smith Saturday. Snapped a couple of caps and then the gun would not hold a half or full cock. Opened it up and the trigger spring fell out in my hand. We compared it to another Pietta Smith and nothing seemed to be any different. The hole in the spring as well as the post appeared un-worn. It was put back together and fired with no problem.
Has anyone experienced this happening?
I bought this gun second hand and have put maybe 200-250 rounds through it before this. It was taken apart, cleaned and lubed beforehand.
Thanks for any help. :?

Joe
01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I seem to remember this happining to me when I lowered the hammer without the nipple in place. This allowes the tumbler to rotate in such a manner to loose spring tension and allow it to fall off of the post.

David Kennard 12146
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
In the process of cleaning it is possible that I may have dropped the hammer without the nipple in place.
Good piece of info to know.

R Filbert
02-03-2009, 10:33 AM
If yuore spring keeps giving you problems they make a wire type spring that does very well with out stretching it out if you happen to have the nipple out and lower the hammer. I think S&S has em.