PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Question

rocketdoc
07-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi,
I picked up a Springfield .58 cal rifle. On the lock there is the US Springfield and 1864 stamped on it along with a federal eagle. The eagle is also on the hammer. On the barrel there is a GAR 43 stamped twice on it and a V P with a symbol I cannot really make out vertically. The lock plate has an A stamped on it and the stock has a 8 H (or H 8) on it. It is the correct color (the metal and wood for a rifle being that old). It is missing the swivel for the sling and if the trigger guard had a swivel it is missing that one as well. Does anyone know what the stampings indicate?
Thanks,
Ken[attachment=2:2l73yw6s]pix059170792.jpg[/attachment:2l73yw6s][attachment=1:2l73yw6s]pix078620268.jpg[/attachment:2l73yw6s][attachment=0:2l73yw6s]pix413716878.jpg[/attachment:2l73yw6s]

rocketdoc
07-16-2011, 12:58 PM
more pics[attachment=2:299789qb]pix767599049.jpg[/attachment:299789qb][attachment=1:299789qb]pix792373975.jpg[/attachment:299789qb][attachment=0:299789qb]pix895915733.jpg[/attachment:299789qb]

ms3635v
07-16-2011, 01:10 PM
After looking at your photos, the eagle that you refer to as being on the hammer is actually on the bolster and that is the correct location for that stamping. The letter A appears, from your picture, to be on the trigger guard and is an inspector's mark. The VP stands for "viewed and proofed" and the mark you are unable to identify is an eagle's head that is stamped next to the VP on Springfield muskets. The H8 stamped on the wood may be a rack number. As for the GAR, without seeing it, probably means it belonged to a Grand Army of the Republic post, probably post #34. Since your rifle musket has barrel band retaining springs, it is a type II 1864 Springfield.

Southron Sr.
07-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Following the end of the "Late Unpleasantness Between the States" Uncle Sam found itself in possession of the largest supply of small arms on the face of the earth. Since most were muzzleloaders, Uncle Sam was also in possession of the largest supply of Obsolete Small Arms!

The post war era was marked by the Ordnance Department auctioning off tons and tons of "surplus" military equipment. Both dealers and individuals took advantage of these sales where, sometimes, arms literally "Brand New" from the factory were sold for pennies on the dollar. Consequently, many GAR posts were able to purchase arms for their color guards, etc rather cheaply. Obviouly, the GAR used their arms for only ceremonial purposes.

Your Springfield was probably used for 4th of July Parades, by members of that post of the GAR, Honor Guards and for firing salutes at the funeral of a member of the Post, etc. A little research might even reveal which GAR Post owned your Springfield!

For a brief history of the GAR go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Army_of_the_Republic

Muley Gil
07-16-2011, 06:32 PM
"It is missing the swivel for the sling and if the trigger guard had a swivel it is missing that one as well."

Yes, there should be a sling swivel on the front of the trigger guard.

The nipple, or cone, has also been modified to use smaller percussion caps, as were used on sporting rifles, shotguns, and handguns of the period. The rifle muskets used musket caps, which were larger and usually had wings. These caps were more powerful also. Apparently, the GAR post didn't want the expense of the musket caps, or they were not as readily available postwar.

rocketdoc
07-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Great information...GAR Post 43!

rocketdoc
07-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the great information...I would like to get the correct nipple for it and the correct sling swivel...any ideas on where to find? As you can tell I am just starting out...I was inspired by a NSSA member that was shooting at the Berwyn Rod and Gun Club in Bowie MD. As an avid reloader I plan on casting my own minnie balls..advice???

thanks,
Ken

Southron Sr.
07-16-2011, 10:03 PM
That GAR Post was named after Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon who was killed at the Battle of Wilson's Creek leading the Union troops. The battle took place in Missouri early in the war.

As for a replacement nipple, I would recommend you purchase an AMPCO nipple available from The House Of Muskets. You can Google their website. AMPCO nipples are made out of Beryllium and last forever. Muskets normally take a 1/4 inch wrench, a socket nipple wrench is best as you might have to soak the breech of the barrel in penetrating oil for a week. That will make it easier to get the nipple out of its socket if it is rusted in.

Google "S & S Firearms" they are on Myrtle Avenue in Glendale, NY as they will have all the replacement parts you require. Also, Google "Lodgewood Manufacturing" they also have an on-line catalog and the parts you need.

GOOD LUCK!

GPM
07-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I would advise original parts on the swivels, your musket has a nice patina that took over a centurey to aquire and reproduction swivels would stand out like a clown nose. As already mentioned you have a model 1863 type 2, so both swivels can be mounted with a screw.(Model 1863 type 1 the rear swivel was riveted) Just describe the condition of your musket to Lodgewwod or S&S and they should be able to help you out.
As for the nipple, if you don't plan to shoot the musket I would go original part with it as well.