PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Model 1862 Confederate Carbine

Kenneth L. Walters
01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Anyone have experience shooting the Pedersoli Model 1862 Confederate Carbine? I know that the ones now being made have a chromed breech block. I'd be interested in knowing how easy they are to clean and if there are any problems with them.

Charlie Hahn
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Ken,

I have one in my shop right now, and I am doing the oring modification to it. Here is what I see.

The breech block has an improved pressure plate design with a radius bottom that makes removing it much easier. The pressure plate is designed different from the original, in that it does not have the tapered back side that aids the plate moving forward to seal, instead it has a straight hole that just clears the fire tube. Behind the pressure plate it is shimmed to reduce the gap between the pressure plate and the breech face. In my opinion this is not going to be effective and with the pressure plate missing the tapered back side will just blow your hat off when shooting.

What I do like about this design is that the pressure plate is chromed on both sides, and it appears to be hard chrome and not just the flash type used on ornimental items.

The unit I am working on will have just the oring loaded short sleeve, and I expect it to seal very good and be able to shoot a whole weekend with out the need to clean it.

I understand that they are only doing this on the Robinson, but I hope they offer the breech block as a repair unit, as I would like to fit this to an exisitng carbine as an upgrade.

Charlie

RaiderANV
01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Well,,,,,,,that's one step further from ah starr and closer to ah MAYNARD!!! 8)

Kenneth L. Walters
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM
I've got a Romano Maynard and love it. Maynards are very nice guns. Not as nice as a Starr, of course, but nice. You, on the other hand, have never experienced the joy of shooting a Starr.

Gun Digest, incidentally, bought my article on shooting a Starr years ago. Just got word that they lost that article and two others of mine. Paid for them almost a decade ago but lost all three. I would have liked to see those in print.

Larry hasn't been working on his Star project. That's too bad. He will not even discuss making an Evans. But the folks who are trying to make the Merwin Hulbert and also talking about making the Evans.

Kenneth L. Walters
01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Ken,

I have one in my shop right now, and I am doing the oring modification to it. Here is what I see.

The breech block has an improved pressure plate design with a radius bottom that makes removing it much easier. The pressure plate is designed different from the original, in that it does not have the tapered back side that aids the plate moving forward to seal, instead it has a straight hole that just clears the fire tube. Behind the pressure plate it is shimmed to reduce the gap between the pressure plate and the breech face. In my opinion this is not going to be effective and with the pressure plate missing the tapered back side will just blow your hat off when shooting.

What I do like about this design is that the pressure plate is chromed on both sides, and it appears to be hard chrome and not just the flash type used on ornimental items.

The unit I am working on will have just the oring loaded short sleeve, and I expect it to seal very good and be able to shoot a whole weekend with out the need to clean it.

I understand that they are only doing this on the Robinson, but I hope they offer the breech block as a repair unit, as I would like to fit this to an exisitng carbine as an upgrade.

Charlie

Charlie,

Only the Robinson so far has this chromed part. The rest of the line only will, maybe, if this turns out to work well. Can you do chrome plating?

On models that don't yet have this chrome plated part, what alterations can you make? Art, I know, produce a completely new breech block. Exactly why he did that I'm not 100% clear on. It has been explained to me more than once but...

And another thing I still haven't completely understood is the o-ring modification. Don't you put the o-ring in the center of the chamber sleeve. Once you do that can you take the front part of the chamber out?

Newer Pedersoli's, I think, had a sleeve that moves. I think that the newer sleeves have been cut in half BUT can not be removed for cleaning. I've never been clear on why you would cut that part in half and then not make it removable for cleaning.

Southron Sr.
01-06-2009, 10:22 AM
A few years ago, I sent Pedersoli all the information on how to modify their Sharps to take the "O" Ring seal. This could have been done on the production line at very, very little (if no) expense.

I can understand why they didn't use an "O" Ring system because it would have required the owner to replace "O" Rings from time to time and I guess that the system they now use down on their Confederate Sharps was considered to be a "pernament fix" for the problem.
Since I haven't had the chance to work with one of their Confederate Sharps, I really comment on how good or bad it actually is.

Charlie Hahn
01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Ken,

I have all of Arts blocks here, and can make them if the customer would like a new solid block.

The o-ring can me done two ways. If the customer has a gun with a removable sleeve, and wants to keep this, the sleeve is shortened, and a second mating part is made with a captive o-ring.

Or, the breech can have a perminate sleeve added, and then a short o-ring loaded sleeve at the breech face.

The breech block can the be modified several ways to work with this, including having either a soild non-moving breech block, or make the pressure plate so it works as a solid block.

I am putting together a photo process to show the customer what can be done, so they can select which way they would like to go.

Charlie