PDA

View Full Version : Re-enact with original weapons?

1840cavsaber
07-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi Guys,

I was curious to know how many on this site take original CW weapons into the field to use. One of my college professors asked me this "why" guys did this and my response was that it adds to the authenticity.........but at the same time I told him that I do not support that idea of firing antique muskets, or using original swords for mock cavalry fighting...........as they're much too valuable to be using as "toys".

I used to re-enact Rev War 42nd Highland, but I never thought of taking out my original brown bess bayonet into the field when I had a perfectly good reproduction to use.

So I am curious to know what you guys think about this?

Joe 3rd N C Art 2440V
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Actually quite a lot of us do however; we don't re-enact. We take care of our firearms.

rachbobo
07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I have mixed feelings about this subject. Some are in very good shape, and despite their age and I'm of the opinion that " Let that OLD DOG bark again" as long as they are well cared for.
Others of historical nature, well that's where the problem lies. I have brought a few Old Dogs back to life and let them Bark Again .
They were in sorry shape and I brought them back to life.

Bill Cheek

Greg Ogdan, 11444
07-11-2011, 08:14 PM
What Bill said. Just because a firearm is original, doesn't mean it has antique or historical value. Many of us have "rehabilitated" some pretty scroungy arms and given them life again.

Eggman
07-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Very good comments (see above). Another consideration. Are they sitting well oiled in a nice humidity controlled environment, or are they simply stored and busily rusting away and deteriorating. Sometimes (a lot of the time??) the guns are better off taken out and used, hopefully in a NONABUSIVE (like not like firing 170 grain blank loads out of them, and then not cleaning) manner.
On the topic of storage by professionals, the state of Iowa is now in the process of attempting to restore their extremely deteriorated Civil War battle flags. The long time state historian was content to let them HANG from flag poles in non climate controlled glass cases in the statehouse for forty years, or longer. The fellow (who made national news by refusing to return some captured battle flags to Louisiana) has past on and the the new regime is attempting to undo the damage. See the second to last issue of "Hallowed Ground," the Civil War Preservation Trust's magazine, about progress. It will bring a tear to your eye, even if you're not a Yankee.

Southron Sr.
07-12-2011, 04:27 AM
You have to realize that as far as most (but not all) re-enactors are concerned, a musket is just a "noise maker" that produces a puff of smoke. In other words, it is just another "prop." My experience has been that while some re-enactors take care of their muskets, many do not do so.

If that wasn't bad enough, firing only blanks is harder on a musket than firing live ammo! Why do I say this? Well, when a live round is fired (like we do here in the N-SSA) the bullet zipping down the barrel removes some of the fouling from the previous shot. Blanks, on the other hand, simply deposit another layer of fouling on the previous layers left from the previous blank shots.

It is the fouling remaining in the barrel that is so rough on the barrel. They fouling attracts moisture from out of the air and the moisture converts the metal of the barrel into rust and corrosion. Now, if that isn't bad enough, when some re-enactors become "casualties" during a "battle" they often drop or sometimes even throw their muskets down on the ground. This does the musket no good at all because it can be damaged by striking a rock, etc., Heck, I was at Gettysburg in 1976 and actually saw re-enactors use their muskets for "hand to hand combat" bashing them together like they were Quarter-Staffs!

I started my 'Skirmishing Career" using an original 1861 Springfield and over the years I have owned and shot in N-SSA competition original Sharps and Smith Carbines. I simply took care of my arms and after each time they were shot (with live ammo, of course, because I don't shoot Blanks...B-o-r-i-n-ggg) I gave them a thorough cleaning and put them away. IN actual fact, I actually improved their condition because I took care of them, oiled them on a regular basis and protected them.

I have known many Skirmishers that own and shoot original arms. They take very good care of their arms.

So, my conclusion: Under no circumstances should one use an original arm to re-enact with. However, Skirmishing is totally different and if original arms are cared for, their condition actually sometimes improves with use! They were designed and built to shoot LIVE ammo-not blanks!

musketjon
07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
I am in the CWSA in So Cal and I have an original Smith Carbine and a Wm Mason 1863 contract rifle-musket that I use in competition. Not a worry that I'll ever hurt them. They're always conversation pieces at the local range as well.
Jon