PDA

View Full Version : For Sale, Stelling Staghorn 5 string banjo

Cookie
01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Due to the hint of old age and more so arthritis in my finger joints, I’m offering up my banjo to N-SSA’ers for first dibs. (that way I could still hear it wail out a few good songs occasionally).

Stelling Staghorn, Sn# 4586
A true beauty, this 5 string banjo is easy to play and has a full, deep and “powerful” tone quality. Highly figured claro walnut with staghorn of maple inlaid on the back of the resonator. Genuine ebony fingerboard with inlays of genuine abalone. Nickel plated hardware.

Comes with:
Schaller D-tuners on 2nd &3rd string (original tuners incl),
On-board Wittman mini autotuner.
Neotech shoulder strap (detachable).
Emerson power bridge, (gives it even more brightness)
Clear 5 star head (original frosted head incl).
Stelling case (showing signs of wear, but that’s what it’s supposed to do)
Several sets of strings incl.

Price $3150.00, plus shipping.

Pm me for pictures and any additional info you may want.

Tim Lyne
01-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Just some quotes that famous musicians probably would have made if they had ever heard and seen this banjo:

"Goodness! A feller'd oughta buy this and I mean NOW! A banjo just can't git more banjo than this banjo!"
(Raymond Fairchild)

"I've played Gibson banjos all my life, but this is the first one I'd take home to Ellie Mae at night!"
(Earl Scruggs)

"Banjos?!? Banjos?!? We don' need no steeekin' banjos!"
(Mexican Bandido #1, in "Blazing Saddles")

"If it were an accordian I'd buy this one in a heartbeat!"
(Shakey Szlynryski of "Shakey and the Pennsylvania Coal Crackers")

Just some of the things that might have been said had any of the above individuals actually heard or seen this banjo.

BUT...in all seriousness, this is an absolute top-notch Bluegrass banjo folks. As an instrument builder and player, I can tell you that the fit, finish, tone and quality don't get any better than a Stelling. It's an investment in art, not just an instrument!

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

Jacob Bly
01-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Cookie, if I had that much to spare or could get maybe a 75% discount I'd be glad to have it. Tim we missed you and Jim at Fall Nat'ls. I brought my friend and Tom's wife played with us so we still had a good time. A new Staghorn goes for about $6,300 so that's still a heck of a deal.

Tim Lyne
01-06-2009, 06:03 AM
I figured all the talk about Stelling banjos, Mexican Bandidos and Polka bands wold bring you at a fast trot, Mr. Bly. Knowing some of the fast company you keep, I'll bet those things are just a typical part of any Saturday night for you!

Work called me home at Fall Nats, but it sounds like you did just fine. I assume notes flowed like milk and honey on Mr. Magno's Bass, but who was your accompani, acommpani, er, guitar player? Was that Mrs. Magno? And since she plays, WHY has she not come to Knap's with instrument in hand?? We can be a right polite bunch if we're given fair warning!

Keep on the Sunny side!
Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

Jacob Bly
01-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Mrs. Magno and my friend switched off on guitar. He brought his mandolin too. We'll have to invite her in the Spring. Cookie you're always welcome to play mine if you want to give it a try.

Cookie
01-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks to all who showed some interest in my banjo. Wish I could afford to give it away (Jacob Bly would be a prime candidate, as I'm sure he could make it sing a few songs I never heard, and play the ones I know even BETTER))... Thanks for the offer to play your banjo, I just may surprise you and actually take you up on the offer on a rare occassion. (only if it's warm out)

I'll give it one or two weeks before I let it out to eBayand beyond for dibs at a higher price..