PDA

View Full Version : First annual Disabled American VETs Skirmish!!

RaiderANV
07-01-2011, 04:19 PM
NOTE,,,,I've just been informed by the head of the N-SSA that mortars & artillery WILL NOT BE ALLOWED at this disabled vet skirmish!!
I'm sorry for any grief this may cause all those who wanted to bring their guns for the vets to enjoy.

I placed this in several categories hoping the most people will see this:

I've been to the BOD at the last meeting during the Nationals, laid out the program and got the N-SSA blessing to proceed with this.

The First DAV N-SSA Disabled Veterans Skirmish will be held on Saturday July 23rd from 0800 as late as 1600 (that's 8am-4pm for the non military time types) :wink:
This will be held at the N-SSA's home range Fort Shenandoah in Winchester, VA

The local chapter of the DAV #9 "Stonewall Jackson" is working with the VA hospitals to bring disabled vets down from the VA hospitals to shoot for the day. These vets may range from hospital bound, going to rehab or outpatient (walking wounded types). ALL disabled vets are being invited from UPDATED LIST BELOW:
To date the following Veterans hospitals and Army medical centers and organizations have been invited with no attached limit. These are normal procedures and special support orgs the DAV incorporates to promote community involvement at all functions.
1. Walter Reed Army Medical Center and NIH
2. Salem Virginia VAMC
3. Washington D.C VAMC
4. Fort Belvoir Transitional Warriors and all patients
5. Richmond Virginia VAMC
6. Altoona PA VAMC
7. The 116th BN National Guard Winchester Virginia.
8. Rolling Thunder Chapter #1 Winchester Virginia in support and its Veteran members. ( WAITING RESPONSE)
9. DAV and the DAVA Ch# 9 membership of Winchester Virginia.
10. Winchester Marine, Navy, Air Force, Army Coast Guard recruiters. Pending
11. Virginia Defense Force ( waiting response)
12. US Army Ret General C. Getz keynote guest speaker waiting confirmation.

The hospitals will be busing the guys up and sending some attendants with them. These guys have been asked about activities they'd like to do and shooting & fishing are tops on their list every time. While we have placed a cap of 150 vets for this skirmish we do so knowing that it all depends on how the vets themselves feel the day of the skirmish. They've been signing up for a few months now and their condition the morning of the skirmish will dictate whether or not they'll be able to come that day.

I've heard from a few people that I was planing to close the range to everyone except the vets that day. I don't know how this stuff gets started other then idle keyboards.

The range WILL BE OPEN to any N-SSA member just as it is every day of the year. But,,,,,,this event WILL be taking from 5-7 positions on either side of the main tower to total 10-15 positions for the vets to shoot. The events will be run in 10-20 minute relays(we'll see how it goes with the guys) and then the normal commands will be giving and range cleared to hang/change targets. Any N-SSA member is welcome to shoot to either side of the positions being used for your own practice or sighting in any new toys. Your also welcome to join in with helping our vets enjoy their day of shooting.

What's needed:

As Pat McGinness has stated at the Board meeting the Middle Atlantic Region donated all the clays and tiles for the event and this is a huge help. And I thank them on behalf of the vets who'll blast them ta pieces!

Mostly I'll need N-SSA members and their guns. Bring whatever you want to let a vet shoot and all the ammo you can spare for them. Any and ALL N-SSA arms are invited to show up for this shoot. We'll try to pair up and vet w/ an N-SSA member. Depending on how many show we'll see how this works and change as needed. N-SSA members will be loading for those that are unable to load and let them fire away at the targets. When the vet gets the hang of it they can load themselves. I only ask that you bring whatever guns and ammo you would allow the vets to enjoy and show up for as long as you can for the First DAV' N-SSA Disabled Vet Skirmish.

I was also asked about safety. ALL N-SSA rules will be followed. While these vet are disabled they have all been cleared for this type of event and I don't have to bring up all their training Uncle has put them through.

We'll need donations of paper targets for the shoot. I plan on cutting everything into single targets for this match. If you have left over targets from skirmishes gone by that you never fire we'll take em'. I'm guessin I have a few dozen in my own trailer.

I plan on having a few pigeon boards with 50-100 birds on it for the vets to blast away. We'll also fill frames up with tile and let them have at it. Any other breakable targets anyone wants to get rid of we'll take them as well.

I've had a few offers of mortars and cannon. THIS IS GREAT!! The guys will love it. As a side note ONLY N-SSA members will be loading the mortars and cannons. We'll let the vets fire them and even aim the guns if the gun own allows. Maybe get a few vets on each mortar and they can fire a 3 shot group against each other? We'll be hanging a pigeon bird with as many bids as I can get on it for canister shoot for a demo. Anyone wanta throw their name in to bring and fire the canister?

The DAV along with the 7th Virginny will be supplying/cooking food for the VETS and their families. YES,,,some will have families in-tow as that's how these DAV events are run and since the N-SSA is family oriented as well this works. If anyone wants to donate a side dish for the VET I'm sure they'll push the MRE's aside for it! Green

Being this is the first event of this type with the VA Hospitals we have a plan on how we'd like things to go. ANYONE having any ideas/offers please feel free to contact me as I'm the lead on this between the DAV and N-SSA. I know this will turn out a huge success and we'll look to expand this to any region who wishes to get involved. DAV Chapter #9 Stonewall Jackson will be there in force to help and set up with anyone wishing to put on a local event in their region.

ALSO,,,,,,Chance from the DAV #9 will be there and has offered to help ANY VET from ANY war/service with their benefit questions. He's been a VET rep. for 26 years now and has already helped dozens of N-SSA members during the Nationals with the benefits. Mostly vets needing increases the admin. has been fighting them on. All that I've heard from have had success in getting their rightful increases.

This partnership between the DAV & N-SSA is a great thing all round. I large number of the N-SSA are vets and more then a few disabled themselves. We are in a position to help our vets out and in the process make a lot of new friends and maybe spread the word about the N-SSA or even pick up and few new members.

Des
07-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Pat,

Do you still need any artillery? if you are short I may be able to come with a Parrott. Please advise and any idea how many rounds we might need?

thanks

Ken Hansgen, 11094
07-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Pat, You are to be congratulated--that's a great thing y'all are doing!

RaiderANV
07-04-2011, 11:46 PM
DES,

I'll take anything and EVERYTHING ya wanta bring :!: I plan to run the artillery and mortars on a few relays by themselves. ONLY N-SSA MEMBERS will be loading the guns and the vets can fire them. If the gun owner allows they can try aiming it also. Plan on shooting at 100yards and we'll see how it goes and how many show. If there's interest on the crews we'll work in the normal distance to show the guys how good the old stuff works. Green

This has just been changed.I've just been told NO artillery will be allowed for the DAV shoot :cry: