PDA

View Full Version : First annual Disabled American VETs Skirmish!!

RaiderANV
07-01-2011, 04:18 PM
NOTE,,,,I've just been informed by the head of the N-SSA that mortars & artillery WILL NOT BE ALLOWED at this disabled vet skirmish!!
I'm sorry for any grief this may cause all those who wanted to bring their guns for the vets to enjoy.

I placed this in several categories hoping the most people will see this:

I've been to the BOD at the last meeting during the Nationals, laid out the program and got the N-SSA blessing to proceed with this.

The First DAV N-SSA Disabled Veterans Skirmish will be held on Saturday July 23rd from 0800 as late as 1600 (that's 8am-4pm for the non military time types) :wink:
This will be held at the N-SSA's home range Fort Shenandoah in Winchester, VA

The local chapter of the DAV #9 "Stonewall Jackson" is working with the VA hospitals to bring disabled vets down from the VA hospitals to shoot for the day. These vets may range from hospital bound, going to rehab or outpatient (walking wounded types). ALL disabled vets are being invited from updated list below:
To date the following Veterans hospitals and Army medical centers and organizations have been invited with no attached limit. These are normal procedures and special support orgs the DAV incorporates to promote community involvement at all functions.
1. Walter Reed Army Medical Center and NIH
2. Salem Virginia VAMC
3. Washington D.C VAMC
4. Fort Belvoir Transitional Warriors and all patients
5. Richmond Virginia VAMC
6. Altoona PA VAMC
7. The 116th BN National Guard Winchester Virginia.
8. Rolling Thunder Chapter #1 Winchester Virginia in support and its Veteran members. ( WAITING RESPONSE)
9. DAV and the DAVA Ch# 9 membership of Winchester Virginia.
10. Winchester Marine, Navy, Air Force, Army Coast Guard recruiters. Pending
11. Virginia Defense Force ( waiting response)
12. US Army Ret General C. Getz keynote guest speaker waiting confirmation.

The hospitals will be busing the guys up and sending some attendants with them. These guys have been asked about activities they'd like to do and shooting & fishing are tops on their list every time. While we have placed a cap of 150 vets for this skirmish we do so knowing that it all depends on how the vets themselves feel the day of the skirmish. They've been signing up for a few months now and their condition the morning of the skirmish will dictate whether or not they'll be able to come that day.

I've heard from a few people that I was planing to close the range to everyone except the vets that day. I don't know how this stuff gets started other then idle keyboards.

The range WILL BE OPEN to any N-SSA member just as it is every day of the year. But,,,,,,this event WILL be taking from 5-7 positions on either side of the main tower to total 10-15 positions for the vets to shoot. The events will be run in 10-20 minute relays(we'll see how it goes with the guys) and then the normal commands will be giving and range cleared to hang/change targets. Any N-SSA member is welcome to shoot to either side of the positions being used for your own practice or sighting in any new toys. Your also welcome to join in with helping our vets enjoy their day of shooting.

What's needed:

As Pat McGinness has stated at the Board meeting the Middle Atlantic Region donated all the clays and tiles for the event and this is a huge help. And I thank them on behalf of the vets who'll blast them ta pieces!

Mostly I'll need N-SSA members and their guns. Bring whatever you want to let a vet shoot and all the ammo you can spare for them. Any and ALL N-SSA arms are invited to show up for this shoot. We'll try to pair up and vet w/ an N-SSA member. Depending on how many show we'll see how this works and change as needed. N-SSA members will be loading for those that are unable to load and let them fire away at the targets. When the vet gets the hang of it they can load themselves. I only ask that you bring whatever guns and ammo you would allow the vets to enjoy and show up for as long as you can for the First DAV' N-SSA Disabled Vet Skirmish.

I was also asked about safety. ALL N-SSA rules will be followed. While these vet are disabled they have all been cleared for this type of event and I don't have to bring up all their training Uncle has put them through.

We'll need donations of paper targets for the shoot. I plan on cutting everything into single targets for this match. If you have left over targets from skirmishes gone by that you never fire we'll take em'. I'm guessin I have a few dozen in my own trailer.

I plan on having a few pigeon boards with 50-100 birds on it for the vets to blast away. We'll also fill frames up with tile and let them have at it. Any other breakable targets anyone wants to get rid of we'll take them as well.

I've had a few offers of mortars and cannon. THIS IS GREAT!! The guys will love it. As a side note ONLY N-SSA members will be loading the mortars and cannons. We'll let the vets fire them and even aim the guns if the gun own allows. Maybe get a few vets on each mortar and they can fire a 3 shot group against each other? We'll be hanging a pigeon bird with as many bids as I can get on it for canister shoot for a demo. Anyone wanta throw their name in to bring and fire the canister?

The DAV along with the 7th Virginny will be supplying/cooking food for the VETS and their families. YES,,,some will have families in-tow as that's how these DAV events are run and since the N-SSA is family oriented as well this works. If anyone wants to donate a side dish for the VET I'm sure they'll push the MRE's aside for it! Green

Being this is the first event of this type with the VA Hospitals we have a plan on how we'd like things to go. ANYONE having any ideas/offers please feel free to contact me as I'm the lead on this between the DAV and N-SSA. I know this will turn out a huge success and we'll look to expand this to any region who wishes to get involved. DAV Chapter #9 Stonewall Jackson will be there in force to help and set up with anyone wishing to put on a local event in their region.

ALSO,,,,,,Chance from the DAV #9 will be there and has offered to help ANY VET from ANY war/service with their benefit questions. He's been a VET rep. for 26 years now and has already helped dozens of N-SSA members during the Nationals with the benefits. Mostly vets needing increases the admin. has been fighting them on. All that I've heard from have had success in getting their rightful increases.

This partnership between the DAV & N-SSA is a great thing all round. I large number of the N-SSA are vets and more then a few disabled themselves. We are in a position to help our vets out and in the process make a lot of new friends and maybe spread the word about the N-SSA or even pick up and few new members.

Paul Lampman 263V
07-01-2011, 05:05 PM
PJ
I'm pretty sure we have enough paper target in our cabin. I'll know for sure at McNeills.

tony 1st regt
07-01-2011, 06:09 PM
PJ,
As we spoke before, I'll be there with at least one other member, maybe more..

tony, !st regt engr.

colt1861
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
PJ,

My wife and I will be there with 2 carbines (a smith and a musketoon) and a mortar for the vets to shoot. Let me know if there is anything else that I may be able to help with. We will be at helping host the McNeil's shoot if you want to meet and talk.

Lance
R. Preston Chew's Btry

Sam Sellaro, 12403
07-02-2011, 07:59 PM
PJ

That is one of the best thing i have ever had a chance to be a part in, as it is also a ideal that i hold close to my heart. I regretfully will not be able to attend but if there is anything i can do please call. 3042160369

Best wishes
Sam

RaiderANV
07-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks to those who have signed on so far. We could use a few more. All you need to bring is guns and all the ammo you can spare. Mortars & artillery are welcome!

I was just informed today at 3:15pm that NO mortars or artillery will be allowed for the Disabled Vet shoot. Sorry guys

RangerFrog
07-05-2011, 09:43 AM
PJ,

What about revolvers? Will we have anyone running the revolver range at the same time, or can we handle revolvers on the same line with the long guns, and do we need volunteers (with revolvers and ammo) to help with that as well? I'll be traveling most of the time from now until then, but will be connected via e-mail and this board. Let me know if I should plan to go this way or bring my funky old Zouave and a bunch of Minies. I don't think I'll get back in time to cast and load any Maynard rounds, but I'll try. :wink:

Froggie

RaiderANV
07-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Bring it all Frogmister! :wink: The vets will be shooting everything we bring. The more we bring the more they'll enjoy their day away from the hospitals four walls.

Sam Sellaro, 12403
07-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Pj

Its nice to see that we now have mortars. We just need to see how we can get the artillary included.
After our phone conversation I understand that you are going to have to raise enough money to cover the expense for food and drink for the veterans and their families. They have served our country and sacrificed so much for all of us. I can atleast donate money as some small way to help with this event. I will send $100 which will help achieve this goal. My mother is sending $200 in memory of my grandfathers (Antonio M. Sellaro, Jr., and John J. Barberio) who were both WWII Veterans. My Aunt Tina Sellaro Levelle will also be sending $100 in memory of her father. You are well on your way of achieving your goal!
As I understand DAV is a 501C3 which would be a chairatable contribution. Please send the address and any information I would need.

rachbobo
07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I fit in the catagory of a dis-abled Vet and plan on attending but want to be there as a host not a guest.
As I have said in other posts about shooting flintlocks and the hand made 1855 Starr Carbine I'm machining,I plan on joining the N-SSA.
I'm going to try to get to the Fort this Friday some time before or just after 1200hrs.
Will there be anyone there I can see to join and also make a donation for food and stuff for the Vets.
I never had any use for Pyrodex or any of the other substitutes but have wound up with 5 one pound cans I want to get rid of.
Maybe everyone can turn a blind eye to it's use by the Vets or I'll just give it away to anyone interested.
Also I'll pick 3 cases of clay pigeons to use as targets

Bill Cheek
Capon Bridge
WV
AKA Rachbobo

Paul Lampman 263V
07-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Bill
Everyone will be welcome. I'll look forward to meeting you.

RaiderANV
07-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Sam,

I ahhhhhh,,,,,,,don't know what to say. It's a super generous offer that I'll gladly except on behalf of the D.A.V.'s Tell your family how much I appreciate them helping out with this effort to get our wounded out of the hospitals and other places to enjoy a day away from it all! THANKS AGAIN!!

The fund themselves will actually be sent directly to the DAV Chapter #9 in Winchester, VA Their info is below.

Make checks out to:

D.A.V. Chapter #9 "Stonewall Jackson"

IMPORTANT### In the MEMO line please put "DIRECT DONATION for N-SSA/DAV EVENT"

Send to:

DAV Chapter #9
PO Box 2342
Winchester, VA 22604

Thanks to anyone else who's is able to help out with this venture!

lmcmahon
07-08-2011, 08:30 AM
DAV Skirmish Cancelled
On July 5th I received an email from the Winchester Chapter of the DAV, outlining their operational guidelines and expectations for the upcoming N-SSA / DAV event to be held July 23rd at Fort Shenandoah. The email raised several questions or red flags that needed to be addressed by our Judges Advocate and Insurance Chairman. It raised considerable concern regarding the N-SSA's liability exposure and all agreed that the event could only take place if the certain stipulations were met by the DAV. [This was the first written communication that I had received from the DAV concerning the event].

This information was relayed to the Winchester Chapter of the DAV at their meeting Wednesday night, who responded that they had no ability to meet the lease or insurance requirements as set forth by the N-SSA. After receiving notice that the DAV would not be able to meet our requirements for this event, and by vote of the BOD this event has regrettably been cancelled.

However, I am committed to trying to find away to resolve the insurance and liability issues and therefore I will appoint a committee to immediately start working with the DAV group to resolve these issues and hopefully reschedule this event in the future. And of course we will continue to support their important mission by providing free space to the DAV on sutler row, for their raffle and other activities.

Linwood McMahon
N-SSA Commander

bobanderson
07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Why doesn't it surprise me that a genuine effort to offer a small thanks for the many sacrifices
made by these Vets was stopped before it took off.

I know it's useless to say so, but I really hate what the Effin lawyers have done to our great country.

hp gregory, 9128
07-08-2011, 03:02 PM
i think the name disabled vet should explain a lot. some of these fine folks have suffered horriable injuries. this deal isnt like bringing a troop of boy scouts out to shoot. these folks may require a lot of special care just to get there. if its going to happen absolutley everything has to be looked at for the good of not only the vets but the nssa as well. i hate to think what would happen if one of these guys suffered an injury while at the fort. i hope the problems can be ironed out. the 17th was looking forward to lending a hand with this. all of us owe the military men and women more than we can repay.

hp