PDA

View Full Version : Swim or Wade

Eggman
06-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Like most skirmishers I frequently visit the original sources to see how things worked back in the pre Facebook days. This often leads to puzzlements like the one Second Lieutenant (there was no First Lieutenant) Sam Clemens (Mark Twain) presented in his descriptions of his service with the Missouri Marion Rangers out of Hannibal in '61. The fifteen Rangers were soon mounted by local farmers, Sam's mount being an independent minded mule named Paint Brush. Now here's the conundrum; during one of the Ranger's many retreats back into the woods whenever reports of Grant's Yankees were heard of, the Rangers were faced with the challenge of crossing the Salt River. Paint Brush would not under andy terms enter the water, so a rope was tied to the pommel of Painat Brush's saddle, and he/she/it and Sam were dragged into the river by another horseman. The pulling horse and rider proceeded across the river swimmingly, but when they looked back there was no sign of Sam or Paint Brush, just a taunt rope. Finally they began emerging from the water, Sam's head first, then Paint Brush's head, etc.. until finally the whole Sam and Paint Brush were again reconstituted on land. Sam asserted that the d_____ mule walked across the bottom even though the water was ten feet deep.
Now my question is, is this normal for a mule? I'm wondering if maybe some of our cavalry or artillery folks could maybe do a demonstration for us maybe during the first part of one of our national skirmishes when the range is usually covered with water. Or maybe some Missouri reenactors could go to the Salt itself and try a demo there. If so, please record it. What do you think??

efritz
06-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't believe it was was 2nd Lt. Clemens. I think it was Sgt. Snorkel and thus his claim to fame. Pvt. Bailey was a witness. Also in tow was his faithful companion Otto. All commanded by Grn. Halftrack at camp Swampy, (aka. Ft. Shenendoah).

Eggman
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
No really this is right out of the hstory books.

Southron Sr.
06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Dear Eggman:

I have had a little bit of experience with mules on the farm.

Based on my experience with mules-I am in a quandry for an answer to your question and here are the reasons why:

(1) When a mule decides he isn't going to go somewhere-he won't. That is where the old expression: "As stubborn as a mule comes from."

(2) Yes, a mule is STUPID enough to walk across the bottom of a deep river instead of swimming.

Sincerely Yours,

Southron, Sr.,

P.S. I am sure Mark Twain was "stretching the truth" about his mule walking underwater to make that passage interesting to the reader.

Ron/The Old Reb
06-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Sounds like the same mule I road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon about twenty years ago. What a ride! :o