PDA

View Full Version : 1855 Starr Carbine replica

rachbobo
06-21-2011, 04:35 PM
On a different thread I read about someone asking about approval for a rifle with replacement parts that need approval.
I picked up an 1855 Starr Carbine, the rimfire conversion. Not the original precussion version. At appox $5 a case that uses the.22 blank as a primer I have yet to fire it.
As a life long hobby gunsmith I took the next step from making single shot percussion and flintlock guns from scratch I started machining a replica 1855 Starr Carbine.
I am 6 months into it and figure another 6 months till it is done. Lotsa hours with a hacksaw, files and milling machine I made the receiver with rotating breech and falling block lock.
The barrel is a 50 cal Green Mountain 1-34 twist but seeing that it is a breech loader in reality it is a .515 or so bore. Dan Whitacre did the threading of the barrel to fit the receiver for me.
For reasons to complex to explain in a short post it is chambered in a shortened version of the 56-50 Spencer.
The case measures .920 and holds around 20 gr FF powder.
I understand the high standards the N-SSA upholds and if this home project is not approved I'll use it for Sheetz and Giggles teaching my grandsons about history and shooting.

Bill Cheek
Capon Bridge
West Virginia

Southron Sr.
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
I realize you are doing your Starr Carbine project as a "machining challenge."

If you want to make some Starr replicas up for sale to N-SSA members, make the Percussion version of the Starr.

Those can be used in the carbine team matches and almost everyone now in the N-SSA shoots in the Carbine Matches.

During the war, the percussion Starrs got a lot of "Mixed Reviews." One problem the Starr had was that the Ordnance Department often issued Sharps ammo to units that used Starrs. While the ammo would shoot, it left a lot to be desired.

Good Luck with your Starr Project!

rachbobo
06-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the reply and answers. When I can get to the Fort I'd like to join the N-SSA.
As I said before I have been a life long hobby gun builder with a preference for Flintlocks and percussion. I used to say that if it was made after 1850 I have no interest in it.
But now that I came across the N-SSA I changed that opinion to include Civil War or the War of Northern Agressionor how ever you want to call it.
Not wanting to streach the rules, but are flintlocks allowed in competition. I figure that I'd fit in a home guard unit who would fight with what ever the family had around.
I figure that I can reload and fire a flintlock just as fast as a percussion in the smooth bore matches.

Thanks again.

Bill

rachbobo
06-22-2011, 04:41 PM
A young John Browning was repairing a customers gun in his fathers shop when he said to his father.
I can build a better gun than this. His father replied, "well I'd suggest that you get to it then".
And the rest is history.

Bill Cheek

Paul Lampman 263V
06-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Bill
I applaud your agressive project as I have no such abilities. If you haven't been to Fort Shenadoah you must really make the trip, I checked the map and Capron Bridge is not very far away. There are a number of roundballers who have made the transition/conversion among our numbers. In fact about about a quarter of our team are/were roundballers. We even have an El Primo rb'r gunsmith on our team. If you love black powder smoke then you have found heaven at Winchester.

I would be pleased to have you as our guest for any of the upcoming shoots. We can provide you a bunk, home style eatings and lots of advice, no obligation. You need to come and talk to a number of teams to find the niche that suits you.

phlampman@cox.net

rachbobo
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Paul,
Thanks, I have always believed that if our fore fathers could not only survive with a Flintlock, but prosper. The least I could do is live up to what they did.
The next two Saturdays I'm going to be tied up at auctions where guns are up for bid, thats where I found the Starr Carbine that started all of this.
But I'll show up and have the Sgt at Arms of the N-SSA " Perp Walk" me around till I find someone who will talk to me.
I'll check the schedule and maybe check in earlier.
I think back to that scene from the movie Gettysburg where the spy Harrison is stopped by one of Robert E Lee's guards.
He tells Harrison that he is coming through his lines with no uniform and if no one knows you at headquarters you will have to be shot.
My hearing is not what it used to be, but i think I can still hear a rifle being cocked behind me Ha Ha.
I think that the N-SSA is where I belong.

Bill Cheek

matt
06-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Bill,
Great bunch of people in the n-ssa. If you show an interest in our organization you will find the right team for you. The teams run the gamut from those that are super competitive, those that are uniform junkies down to those whose main purpose is to spend time with other great people and dont really care if they hit a thing. In other words what ever you are looking for there is a team for you to join. Where else can you shoot a revolver in one match than at another be a crew member on a cannon and then pick another match and shoot henry's, sharps rifles, or carbine and then there are individuals. Skirmishing is addictive so having been warned come on down when a skirmish is going on and join the madness.
Matt
Winslow's Battery D 1st NY Lt Artillery 9775v

Southron Sr.
06-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Dear Rachbobo:
As for your question about shooting flintlocks in N-SSA competition, I know of several Skirmishers that shoot original and replica, flintlock, U.S. Model 1816's in the Smoothbore Matches.

All My Best
Southron, Sr.,