PDA

View Full Version : Brazlian Light Minie Rifle

Jim Leinicke 7368V
06-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I have in hand a pretty nice speciman of a Brazilian Light Minie Rifle, complete with the little brass eagle shield on the wrist, the long-range naval type sight, and the anchor stamps on lock and trigger guard. There seems little written on these, except that some 6,000 were imported by the U.S. government and many went to Ohio. Can anyone illuminate me more on the usage of these lttle rifles in the war, and the variants? I have seen two other Light Minies that I can recall and both of those had an enfield-type musket sight, not this very long-range sight similar to a Plymouth Rifle :?: . I haven't quite decided whether or not I should keep this thing but figured I wought to get all of the info on it that I can while I make up my mind.
thanks-
Jim Leinicke
114th Illinois

GPM
06-20-2011, 01:46 PM
There is a photo from Petersburg of a dead Confederate with what appears to be one of these rifles laying nearby. Where it was pointed out to me now escapes me. I'll see if I can dig up the photo or link.
Not sure if this applies to your question at all but I thought it was kinda neat when it was pointed out to me.

GPM
06-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Here is a link to the photo. The rifle behind, not the one laying on the soldier.

http://www.civilwar-pictures.com/g/casu ... e_with_gun (http://www.civilwar-pictures.com/g/casualties/dead_confederate_with_gun)

Richard Hill
06-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I've got a book published in Liege, Belgium in 1976 that my wife and I have translated, and the gun is a Brazilian Model 1855 Naval Rifle. Without a lot of hard evidence for back-up, it appears that about 6,000 of these guns were imported by Herman Boker, who affixed the brass shield to the stock, and sold them on the open market in New York City in late 1860-early 1861. Many were bought by New York State; Ohio was also a purchaser, as you noted. The D-C Anchor is a Brazilian Navy acceptance mark and not O P Drissen as widely believed. The bayonets for these guns were made by Schnitzler and Kirschbaum in Solingen and also have the D-C Anchor mark, and the same mark appears on the barrel of mine 7 times. Specific usage is hard to determine, as they were probably all lumped in with the "Enfield Short Rifle".

John Holland
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Great information, Richard. In addition, the bayonets are serially numbered to the rifles. The numbers on the bayonets are usually stamped across the pommel end of the grip, and on the rifle they are stamped on the bayonet lug. The reason being is that they were individually hand fit. I have heard of the existence of a serially numbered matched set, but haven't seen it. The lowest number I have recorded is # 12. I'll have to dig out some paperwork to find the highest number I've seen, if you're interested.

If you are interested in shooting one, the internal lock parts are almost invariably too soft for any "skirmish longevity".

JDH

gmkmd
12-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Say, John,
Do you know the correct ramrod for this rifle? I have seen one with an Enfield-type rod, and I have seen one with a large-headed rod with a hole in it, more like a Plymouth rod.

John Holland
12-03-2011, 02:57 AM
Glenn -

The rod with the large head & hole is the correct rod. Just as a side note, the bayonet lug is numbered to match a bayonet with the same number. Additionally, the ones marked "OHIO" were so marked when Ohio put them in storage, not when they were issued.

JDH

iamnew
04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Found a bayonet from this gun in my grandfather's attic. Bayonet is numbered 3376. Any idea on its value and where I might sell it? Alternatively is there a museum that would appreciate it? I'll try to attach pictures but if it doesn't work email me and I will send to you. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks

gmkmd
04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm actually looking for one of these. If you come up with a price, please let me know.

iamnew
04-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Any ideas on what the "CH" on the handle means? I have found others like this bayonet on the internet but none seem to have the CH marking.
Thanks!