PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in new sight formula

Rebel Dave
06-19-2011, 09:53 PM
I had the formula for moving or fileing your sights, to get them to point of aim, but i can not find it. Can some one post it, or a link to it. I have a musket that i want to sight in. The formula was something that used yards (in inches) and your sight radius, to tell you how much to move (or file off) your front or rear sight.

Thanks Rebel Dave

DAVE FRANCE
06-20-2011, 12:03 AM
I can put it on the BB tomorrow, but if you would like I can send you an email with a chart that makes it easier.

Dave

Rebel Dave
06-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi Dave

You can send me the chart to my email at barracudadave67@hotmail.com But please post what info you have as it may help others .
as allways

Thanks alot for your help

Rebel Dave

Tom Magno, 9269V
06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
The formula is sight radius (in inches) / range (in inches) = amt to move sight that will result in movement of bullet strike 1 inch.

For instance, if you have a sight radius (distance from rear sight to front sight) of 24", and you want to move your group 3 inches to the left at 50 yards, then:

24/1800=.013, .013x3=.039. So, you would move your front sight to the right (or rear sight to the left) .039" in this example. Works the same for elevation.

Rebel Dave
06-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Tom

Thanks for the formula.

I made an index card to take to the range.

Rebel Dave

Tom Magno, 9269V
06-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Tom

Thanks for the formula.

I made an index card to take to the range.

Rebel Dave

1800"= 50 yards
3600"= 100 yards

OLD CHIEF
06-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Ok, according to my math I have to move my rear sight .032 inches. (Gun with 29 3/4inch sight radius shoots 2 inches to the left at 50 yds.)

How do I make such a small measurement without going out and buying a micrometer?

Bill

Lou Lou Lou
06-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Buy a cheap feeler guage

Rebel Dave
06-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Old Chief

If you tinker with muskets, It is probably a good investmet. You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight Tools. You could also use a Vernier caliper. If you have to file it off, go easy, take a little off, and shoot a few shots, then check again. You can always take some off, it's putting it back on thats hard.

Rebel Dave

Tom Magno, 9269V
06-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Ok, according to my math I have to move my rear sight .032 inches. (Gun with 29 3/4inch sight radius shoots 2 inches to the left at 50 yds.)

How do I make such a small measurement without going out and buying a micrometer?

Bill

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-digital-caliper-47256.html

Cheap, and a good tool you will use a lot.

Southron Sr.
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Dear Old Chief:

The best way to do that is to take off the old front sight that is soldered in place, have a gunsmith cut a dovetail in your barrel and then install a taller front sight in the dovetail. (Just make sure that it is a copy of the original front sight except for the dovetail!)

The front sight can be tapped back in forth in the dovetail to get your windage "Dead On" and then soldered in place to hold it and also comply with N-SSA rules. Of course, then you can file down the front sight blade to get your elevation correct.

I have sighted in many guns and the "Dovetail Method" is the better one by far.

GOOD LUCK

DAVE FRANCE
06-24-2011, 12:56 PM
It is fairly easy to change the rear sight instead of the front with some kinds of sights. With the most common three blade musket sight, I just had a new blade fit in the rear sight, and make a hole at a location from the first sight that was at a location figured from the equation that is the subject of this article.

I have changed some rear sight blades by cutting off the blade but leaving the base on the barrel. then I would file a slot in the barrel, and position the front blade at a location that was changed by using the equation. then I would use Loctite Black Max as an adhesive to keep the blade secure. (You can order black Max from MIdsouth.)

I have always tried to avoid soldering on a new blade, or dovetailing the barrel because of the change of a mistake that will damage the barrel.

There was an article in the Skirmish Line a few years ago, that explained in more detail about how to do all these things.

DAVE FRANCE

DAVE FRANCE
06-24-2011, 01:03 PM
It is fairly easy to change the rear sight instead of the front with some kinds of sights. With the most common three blade musket sight, I just had a new blade fit in the rear sight, and make a hole at a location from the first sight that was at a location figured from the equation that is the subject of this article.

I have changed some FRONT SIGHT blades by cutting off the blade but leaving the base on the barrel. then I would file a slot in the barrel, and position the front blade at a location that was changed by using the equation. then I would use Loctite Black Max as an adhesive to keep the blade secure. (You can order black Max from MIdsouth and it is the best adhesive to use for something like this. If you buy some and store it in the refrigerator in will last for years.)

I have always tried to avoid soldering on a new blade, or dovetailing the barrel because of the change of a mistake that will damage the barrel. I silver soldered the front sight of the musket I shoot, but it took me an hour to file off all the excess solder.

There was an article in the Skirmish Line a few years ago, that explained in more detail about how to do all these things.

DAVE FRANCE