PDA

View Full Version : Question about muskets--

MIR
06-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I am new to all this so bear with me, a question regarding, historical facts and reenacting----I am doing some initial research regarding muskets used in the CW. This may be a dumb question, but what was the most widely used musket used by the Confederacy? I know that there was no "standard" since both sides used (for example) the Springfield and Enfield,for the most part. not sure on the numbers but I am sure that the Springfield was produced in more numbers than the Enfield. I use to think the Enfield was strictly used by the Confederacy, but now I find out not true. --And last but not least, it would be fair that the south, especially as the years progressed, used anything they could find. So was there really a "standard" or not.
So this question may open a can or worms, then again, someone might just nip it in the bud quick.

Would it be safe to say that if you were to do an impression, either gun is fine...or---which is more correct? Perhaps thats onther question for another topic--dont know....

matt
06-14-2011, 08:50 AM
If you are doing a specific unit than research what they were issued and when. If you are doing a generic infantry impression than a 55 springfield, 42 springfield, converted 16 would be good for the early war era 61- to late 62. Mid 62- early 64, enfield 53 musket, 61 springfield plus the earlier muskets.Late 63 to end of the war then you start to see the 63 springfield start showing up. If you are doing Reb then you can throw the Richmond produced muskets into the mix. You can always use the early muskets for a later time frame but cant use later for earlier. Hopes this helps.
Matt
Winslow's Battery D 1st NY Lt Artillery 9775v

Ken Hansgen, 11094
06-14-2011, 12:47 PM
In general, Eastern Theater units were better armed (with more modern weapons) than Western units, altho' there were some exceptions (such as a few units favored smoothbore muskets 'til the end of the war).

ken chrestman
06-14-2011, 05:41 PM
The war was for the most part fought with M1861 Springfields and smoothbores. Army of Tennessee quartermaster returns for October/November 1863 reflect 38% smoothbores in the ranks, with that said Breckenridge's troops recieved a shipment of P1853 Enfields at Burnsville MS days before Shiloh. Stomewall Jackson was wounded at Chancellorsville,VA in MAy 1863 by NC troops using smoothbores. Depending on what period you want to portray you can make a case for whatever you want or like. A 61 or 42 are good choices.

Just a thought.

FEC 7147V Tennessee

Muley Gil
06-14-2011, 09:36 PM
The South had a lot of Enfields imported during the War. The Confederacy standardized their rifle musket ammo as .577.

As stated above, lots of .69 caliber smoothbores in the early war and they never went away completely.

Jim Mayo
06-15-2011, 07:20 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what was the most widely used musket used by the Confederacy? .

The CS imported over 500,000 arms thought to be mostly Enfields. IMO the answer has to be the Enfield of various patterns. I can think of no other one musket that could out number the Enfield for CS use.

The Yankees had almost as many.