PDA

View Full Version : Lorenz stock repair?

Steve Weems
06-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I've been working with an original Lorenz Muster 1854. I've had Hoyt reline the barrel and replaced the missing rear long range sight.
I've cleaned the stock with Kramer's Antique Improver which did a excellent job and which I found out about from one of posters on
this forum. The cleaning revealed some old repairs that had not been visible before and which i will leave well enough alone.

The problem I am concerned about is that the lock inletting is very poor in the rear portion and is not properly supporting
the lock plate. The front half of the inletting is very good. The poor fitting in the back is causing the trigger pull to be extremely
hard . Is it practical to add wood to the rear of the lock mortise and inlet that area to give it support? I believe that what is
happening is that the poor fitting in the rear of the lock is causing the lock internals to bind against the wood of the mortise.

Is there someone who has the experience and expertise to do this work?

Maillemaker
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I have no experience with these guys but found them while googling for stock repair. By looking at this particular project they worked on it gives you an idea of their skill level, I think. :)

http://www.stockfixrs.com/gallery/lc_smith.htm

Steve

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I had the same problem with my Lorenz. I coated parts were binding with inleting black, put the lock back in, cocked and let down the hammer a few times, then took the lock back off and looked for smudges. Remove some wood where you see smudges.

Lipstick will do the same thing as inletting black.

RaiderANV
06-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Steve,

Gary's info is good info if your stock has shrunk from age or the ledge has been crushed from over tightening the lock screws. It's been many a case where I've had to drill one or more holes around the lock and glued wooden dowel rod stock in place to give the lock something to sit on again. It's easy to do. Just figure where you need them and drill yer hole and glue the dowel cut to proper length.

Steve Weems
06-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Pat--I am going to try your method as I believe the rear simply needs some support. It may very well have been over tightening of
the lock plate screw in the rear that did the damage. Thanks for the tip--it gives me a good direction to go.

Regards--Steve Weems