PDA

View Full Version : Question about sizing die from S&S Firearms

Maillemaker
06-07-2011, 10:43 PM
So I bought a couple of sizing dies from S&S firearms to use in my Lyman 4500 lubrisizer. They have a groove in them for an o-ring, but no o-ring. Should they have come with an o-ring?

Steve

Ron/The Old Reb
06-08-2011, 08:00 AM
The three dies that I have do not have O rings in them. The groove is for the set screw to lock the die in the sizer.

ian45662
06-08-2011, 09:08 AM
O ring is not needed but be sure not to push the die in to far or it will be alot of fun trying to get out

matt
06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
I use the dies from S&S only, to get the die out i take off the top punch and push from the bottom then use the groove to pry it out more they do tend to get stuck in the body of the lubrisizer due to the lube but can be changed with out much problem.
Matt
Winslow's Battery D 1st NY LT Artillery 9975v

Maillemaker
06-08-2011, 03:28 PM
So can you lube with these dies without an o-ring in place?

Steve

Ron/The Old Reb
06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes

Hambone
06-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Steve,

The sizing dies from Lyman only come in sizes up to .512 and they come with an o-ring. The larger sizes we use are not made by Lyman and have a groove but an o-ring doesn't fit them. I have a Lyman 450 and a 4500 Lubrisizer and they don't have a set screw to hold the die in. Just push the die in and tighten the nut up on the top. It will probably leak some lube but just collect it and re-use it. When you get ready to remove the die, take the nut off that is holding the die in the press and then size a bullet. When you try to push the bullet out of the die it will push the die out of the press. Just leave it in the die until the next time you use it.

Ron/The Old Reb
06-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Sorry I forgot. I have both a 4500 Lyman sizer and the old orange sizer. I think it was called the Lyman 45. The 4500 dose use a nut to hold the die in but the old sizer uses a set screw. I use them both. I still like the old orange one. The dies work well in both. :oops:

Maillemaker
06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for that info, John, that was exactly what I needed to know.

As for lubing the 4500. I have made my own lube with 3 parts Crisco to 1 part beeswax, and a little bit of vegetable oil. It seems good. I have seen some youtube videos where people attempted to make their own tubes of lube using 1" PVC pipe and a pin for the core, but I am thinking I could just pour molten lube into the lubrisizer lube chamber and let it set up?

Steve

Hambone
06-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Steve,

I heat up my lube and pour it in the top of the lubrisizer. You don't have to do this very often. Just keep an eye on how far down the piston is inside the sizer. I don't put the little cap back on the rod that you tighten to put pressure on the piston, that way you can look right down in the cylinder. After you pour the lube in be sure and wait a couple of hours for the lube to cool down and harden. I applied pressure to soon one time and soft lube sprayed out everwhere like a mist. Good luck.

John

Maillemaker
06-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I applied pressure to soon one time and soft lube sprayed out everwhere like a mist. Good luck.

LOL!

Thanks for the advice. Can't wait for my sizing die to re-arrive. I ordered a .584 and .583 and they sent me a .584 and a .533. Sent back the .533 today and am waiting for the .583 to get here. .584 just barely doesn't fit so I'm hoping the .583 does the trick.

Steve