PDA

View Full Version : zouave carbine

Don Wilt, 11906
12-25-2008, 09:49 AM
First off, Happy Holidays to all!
I purchased a Zoli zouave and when I received it it had a 24" barrel, there is no bayonet lug. My question is: has anyone heard of a zouave carbine? The serial # is in 97** range.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh132/donwilt/DSC00863.jpg

John Holland
12-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Don,

Unfortunately, what you have is a fantasy item. They are a very old product and were dis-allowed for use in the N-SSA about 1963, or 1964 at the latest.

I hope this less than happy information hasn't tarnished an otherwise Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,
John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Edwin Flint, 8427
12-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I have one of these. As I understand it, it was a response to complaints from hunter's that the full size Zouave was too heavy for the woods. They simply cut down the full size to carbine length.

I wish it was legal for NSSA as the one I have drives tacks! Long time ago when I didn't know it was not a legal arm, I broke 11 on a pigeon board without a miss and finished with over 30 hits on a short hand pick up team.

John Holland
12-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi Ed,

My understanding is that they were originally made up out of stocks and barrels that had suffered front end damage during the production operations. Val Forgette was not unlike Eli Whitney, and I’m sure you remember the "Good & Serviceable Arms" Whitney sold to Mississippi. I doubt if the Zouave Carbine was the result of hunters complaints, as there was very little black powder hunting being done in the early 1960's. In fact, as I remember even more from the "old days ", the Zouave Carbine was only declared illegal by the N-SSA after one Dave Morgan, of the 44th New York, won a National Individual Carbine Medal with one.

Remembering all of this old stuff is fun…..but I wonder how much I’ve forgotten?

John

Edwin Flint, 8427
12-25-2008, 03:50 PM
John,

Similar story. I loaned the gun to a team mate. He was shooting pickup on another team and was doing great. They were beating a certain A-team when one of their members noticed the gun. Filed a complaint, team ended up shooting short handed the rest of the match. Certain A-team won the 1st place carbine medal. :roll:

I was told that this was the reason for the shortened version. Also, I saw this gun advertised in an old catalogue as a Hunter Zouave. Maybe it was a fortunate circumstance that they had damaged parts that they could use in this manner to address a Hunter's complaint

Don Wilt, 11906
12-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Doesn't tarnish my Christmas at all. :lol: Thanks for the good information, I guess you won't see this one on the line then. I'll keep it around for inline season here in PA, I can only hope it is a tack drive like Ed's. I also sent pics to Navy Arms for any information they have.

pastore
12-25-2008, 07:26 PM
US Code CFR40 section XVII :
It shall be illegal to sell any shoulder fired weapon having a barrel length in excess of 25 inches to any individual whose physical stature is not at least 66 inches. :lol: :lol: