PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on mailing repro civil war guns

MikeArthur
05-27-2011, 04:30 PM
would love some guidance if insured and also if not insured
by the way, one of our local "Mailbox" outfits will not send antique guns through UPS
thanks

mike arthur, hampton horse artillery
:wink:

RBH3rd
05-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi Mike,
In my experience it's always best to insure and to ship UPS or FedEx Ground. While it's legal to ship pre-1898 black powder muzzle loaders through the US Post Office, it's impossible to get the counter person to understand that. So, why bother...

An even bigger issue is proper packing. Long ago I was given the following sage advice on packaging and protecting guns for shipping. You may plan to do this anyway, but better safe than sorry. I suggest;
1) Cover the hammer and muzzle/ramrod with their own cardboard shields to keep them from poking holes in the box and protruding in shipment. Otherwise they will be worn/damaged in shipping. This can be done as an extra precaution to protect the butt plate too.
2) Pack the gun so that it CANNOT shift within the box. Possibly sandwich it between two heavy cardboard pieces.
3) When affixing the gun inside the package (i.e. to heavy cardboard), never let the packing tape make contact with the gun itself in any way. If tape is allowed to, it will constantly pull at the contact point and remove finish by the constant rocking motion in route.

Hope this helps in some way!!!
Rocky

Rocky Higginbotham
rockyhigginbotham@yahoo.com

Edwin Flint, 8427
05-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I have found that an advance call to the main post office clears things up quite a bit. You can then tell the clerk behind the counter to call Mr. so and so, his supervisor, and things wil go forward quickly. The best way to ship a gun is in a quality plastic gun case, sleeved in card board.

You may have to remove the barrel to fit it in the case, but if you get the good cases that are fully rectangle, not tapered off, there shold be plenty of room.

RaiderANV
05-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Regular US Priority mail is by far the cheapest and best way to send. In the 100's of guns I've shipped I've only been questioned a few times and within minutes the counter person asked someone else and the package was on it's way. It's rare they've even asked what's in the box.

MikeArthur
05-28-2011, 08:48 AM
sounds like the USPS is the best, but if I need it insured, won't they ask about the contents? So I guess the best thing is to just work with them in full disclosure mode

thanks guys!!!!
mike, hampton horse :D

and what great packing advice!

williamslaybaugh
05-28-2011, 03:28 PM
When and if you get asked I have found that referring to the contence as an "antique musket" is less likely to be problematic than calling it a "gun, rifle, or firearm". I guess people think more Davey Crockett and less Rambo. I have never had a problem at the post office or ups.

cgn1971
05-28-2011, 04:45 PM
I've shipped many cap and ball revolvers and long gun thru the USPS with insurance and delivery confirmation and I've only been asked the standard "anything hazardous,perishable or fragile" I answer no and they tell me the cost.

MikeArthur
05-28-2011, 06:05 PM
so when asking for insurance, I don't need to identify the contents? cool :)

mike

M Fleet
05-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Keep in mind, that you can only insure up to $500.00 through the post office.
M Fleet
7359v

Harry
05-28-2011, 09:30 PM
FIRST ... photograph gun with its packing material ... you will need this if you need an insurance claim. This is my method ... go to the second hand store and buy an old heavy blanket for under $5. Take the barrel out of the stock and wrap them up in the blanket. Reinforce to your comfort level with duct tape .... expecially around barrel ends and lock hammer .... place in cardboard box and stuff with newspaper to stop movement. IMPORTANT .... label the contents as "machined parts" ... boring as hell ... who would want to steal machined parts?

Harry
11'th NJ PVI

pastore
05-29-2011, 09:18 AM
by the way, one of our local "Mailbox" outfits will not send antique guns through UPS
thanks

mike arthur, hampton horse artillery
:wink:

Most of te UPS "drop off stores" will not ship firearms of any kind. Take them to the UPS shipping center.

bilge water bob
05-29-2011, 09:35 AM
tell them it's golf clubs

Muley Gil
05-29-2011, 11:03 AM
"tell them it's golf clubs"

And if the musket is damaged, or lost in transit, then your claim will be denied.

I have used the postal service and UPS to ship muzzleloaders and modern firearms with no problems. One time I did have a minor problem with UPS over shipping a modern revolver to another Virginian. However, I had a copy of UPS's regulations with me. I had to talk to a couple of supervisors, but they did ship it for me.

The same goes for the USPS. If the clerk balks, ask to speak with the postmaster. And have a copy of the postal regs with you.

Just remember, muzzleloaders are not considered firearms under Federal law. Do be aware that state and local laws also apply and may be different.

dml1296
05-30-2011, 06:35 PM
There is some good info here and some is....ahh....erroneous. Yeah, that's the word, erroneous. :D

1. You are not required to tell a postal clerk what you are shipping. In fact, if you are shipping a firearm, the postal regulations tell you not to indicate in any way that the box contains a firearm.

2. The $500 limit for insurance used to apply only to when you print your own post paid shipping label. Now, you can insure an item up to $5000 using Click-N-Ship.

3. Many post offices have an area where you can drop off pre-paid packages without even talking to a clerk. Using Click-n-Ship is easy, but it requires a credit card.

I work for a gunsmith and have shipped quite a few firearms by USPS. I have found that it is best to avoid any contact with the clerks wherever possible. The only time I have to deal with a clerk is when
we mail a handgun. It is perfectly legal to mail a handgun from FFL to FFL, but trying to convince a clerk who is ignorant of the postal regulations can be daunting. :roll:

DAVE FRANCE
05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Mike,

I mailed a revolver last year, and when the clerk asked me about the contents, I told him it was an antique pistol. He said "Thats Interesting."

But, that's what I expected because I am in Texas. It is surprising how two states in the same country and seem like different countries.

David

snapcap14
05-31-2011, 12:03 PM
GET A PLASTIC GUN CASE. AND WRAP IT IN CARDBOARD. THAT WILL KEEP EVERYTHING SAFE.

dml1296
05-31-2011, 09:25 PM
One caution. Some states and cities require ALL firearms, including muzzleloaders, to be shipped to a FFL. Surprisingly, TN is one of them.

neverhome_rph
07-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Very interesting topic with valuable information. What about breech-loading carbines, such as a Smith or Maynard? While stamped as Civil War era weapons, I guess the key phrase is that they are NOT "muzzle-loading" weapons.
I am in the process of shipping an original Maynard #2 and wish to insure it for $3,000. I'm guessing Fed Ex ground might be a bit more expensive, but less aggravation in the long run. Waddaya think?
hank

Lou Lou Lou
07-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Under the Gun Control Act of 1968 all firearms or reproductions of firearms that were produced prior to 1898 that do not use commerically available ammunition are not categorized as firearms.

That is more or less the way I remember it.

Walt Magee
07-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Mail it. Romano mailed my Maynard to me through the POst Office to Masschusetts (a very tough state on firearms).

dml1296
07-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Go to the USPS site.http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Fill in the information. You can insure packages for up to $5000 and print the shipping label at home. You don't even have to talk to a postal clerk. You do have to register to use Click-N-Ship and
have a credit card.

Just for the heck of it, I calculated shipping a large box by priority mail. 50"x10"x6". Weight 15 pounds and insured for $3000. The total cost was $53. Most of that is for insurance.

Scott Kurki, 12475
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
My local UPS store is a franchise owned by someone who does not like guns so I either have to go to anoter store or the main hub.

Eggman
07-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Dixie Gun Works, the expert shippers, use a box much larger than the gun itself and wrap the gun in two to three layers of fat bubble, bubble wrap. Utterly fill the box with packing material so the gun cannot shift.