PDA

View Full Version : What thread to repair a cartridge box?

Mike McDaniel
05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
The title says it all. I've got a Jarnagin's cartridge box, and the tab to secure the flap is loose...the thread is broken. But it's not sewn with ordinary sewing thread. What thread should be used, and where can I get some? Thanks.

hwaugh
05-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Mike - I repaired my cartridge box over the winter with a product called "Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl made by Stewart MAnufacturing Co. in Northboro MA. The kit included waxed Polyester tan thread and blended perfectly with the thread on the box. I recommend this product for repairing our leathers.

Harry Waugh - 3731 Terry's Texas Rangers

Jim Mayo
05-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Contact Jarnagin. They may repair it for free. If not maybe they will send you some thread. I have used dental floss for small repairs.

DRHeisey7003V
05-27-2011, 09:53 PM
The thread Jarnigan uses is waxed linen thread. It is the same that I ise on my leather goods. The best way to sew it is a saddle stitch (two needles) by hand. this is the easiest directions:
http://www.millennia.f2s.com/saddlestitch.htm
You can get waxed linen thread at Tandy Leather factory or at AC Moores craft shop. If you run out of options, email me, I will send you some. You just need to get harness (blunt) needles.