PDA

View Full Version : Musket approval

hawkeye2
05-22-2011, 11:12 PM
I have a reproduction rifled musket that was used as a skirmish gun years ago that needs approval. The problem is that the barrel has no maker's name on it. The barrel was lined by Hoyt (there is NO doubt that it is Hoyt lined)and it is a great shooter so replacing the barrel isn't an option I would like to consider and I just don't have $$ with my present situation to do so. Is there any way to get this approved?

Southron Sr.
05-23-2011, 10:24 PM
What makes you think that your Rifle-Musket ISN'T N-SSA APPROVED? If it was used previously as a Skirmish arm, it is probably an "Approved" arm. Check the on-line N-SSA Rules at another page on this website. You might find your arm is "Approved."

hawkeye2
05-23-2011, 10:44 PM
It has no marks on the barrel and no ID on the lock so how do we know if it was an approved brand? That's the real issue. I believe all guns have to have a marked barrel don't they?

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
05-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Brutus Please contact me at wdsmas@aol.com I'm on the SAC and it's possible I can help you with your problem.
Wayne Shaw Harlan's Light Cav 1985 V SAC

John Holland
05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Brutus -

What Region are you in? Perhaps we can make some arrangement for a SAC member to look at it for you at a Regional skirmish.

It's too bad you couldn't have brought it to one of the SAC review sessions at the Nationals last week. We had quite a number of very experienced SAC Inspectors available there.

John Holland
Chairman, SAC

Blair
05-28-2011, 02:33 PM
John,

This Gentleman's question may also be a way of directing/answering some of the current questions regarding the issues of "defarbed" firearms that show up from time to time from the reenacting side of the hobby into the shooter side of the sport.

My question is two fold.
1. How does SAC deal with these ID altered arms as far as approval?
2. With these non firearms (wall hangers types) that are being drilled out so they can be shot (hopefully not even with blanks)... how are the SAC ID'ing these?
I know it comes from experience in dealing with this sort of thing, but do you have any suggestions on how to inform the basic idiot? As to what to look for?
Blair

John Holland
05-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi Blair -

You asked :

Question 1. How does SAC deal with these ID altered arms as far as approval?

Answer - From the N-SSA's Rules -

14.7.1 ARMS TO BE SUBMITTED FOR APPROVAL

f. Any arm that has the original manufacturer’s identification
removed or in any way altered.

Question 2. - With these non firearms (wall hangers types) that are being drilled out so they can be shot (hopefully not even with blanks)... how are the SAC ID'ing these?

Answer - So far they haven't been too difficult to Identify. They are not allowed for use in the N-SSA's competitive matches.

John

Blair
05-28-2011, 04:29 PM
John,

Thank you for your reply.
It really is very much just what I expected.

ie, "Education empower persons with knoledge. That knowledge promotes safety."
E-mail me if you would like to see some very interesting photo images,(at, btaylor18@cfl.rr.com)
Thanks,
Blair