PDA

View Full Version : Weapons of Barksdale Brigade

Rich Siegel 8846
05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
A man over on the forum of the Company of Military Historians asked if anyone might have information on the weapons carried by Barksdale brigade in 1862. If you have any information, you might post it on that forum.

Rich Siegel
Sherman's Bodyguard

Southron Sr.
05-16-2011, 06:41 PM
If I recall correctly-weren't they down at the river at Fredericksburg (at the battle thereof) to fire on and harass the Yankee Engineers building the pontoon bridges? IF I recall correctly, many of those soldiers had Enfields.

Rich Siegel 8846
05-16-2011, 08:10 PM
The person asking the question thought the same but he is looking for info by unit. Must be very detailed research. Thank you for your comments. You may want to go on the forum and see what he is asking for.
Off to the Nationals tomorrow.
Rich

Southron Sr.
05-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Go to your state's branch of the National Archives. In the archives you will find a cabinet of microfilm that contain what are called "The Compiled Service Records." These are on a regiment by regiment basis, so you will need to know the names and numbers of the regiments that composed Barksdale's Brigade.

Basically the Compiled Service Records is the regimental "paperwork" that was generated by the functioning of the regiment. You will find all sorts of information about what items were issued to the regiment on a regular basis, uniforms, tools, ammunition, etc. Sometimes you will even find specific information about the arms issued to the regiment.

Also, while you are at the archives, ask to see the "Ordnance Returns." This will also shed a lot of light on what specific models of arms were issued to the regiment-especially the Inspection reports.

Borel
05-18-2011, 11:10 PM
The compiled service records for one officer of the 21st Mississippi, Barksdale's Brigade, show him drawing a significant number of Belgian Rifles in 1862. I can look up the specifics if anyone is interested.

Rich Siegel 8846
05-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Guys,
Thank you very much. I will pass on the info.
Rich

ken chrestman
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Several of my ancestors were in Barkdale's Brigade (17th MS) and I have several books with references to their actions, etc.I do know when they arrived in Richmond May 61 they were issued concerted 1822/3 smoothbores (according to Stark Miller a local MS researcher, then before the battle of Balls Bluff, Oct 21.1861 they were issued P53's and Austrian Lorenz.

Please understand these units were the Griffith's Brigade Army on the Northern District, after Griffith was killed teay were reorganized under Barksdale.I have the Mississippi Historical Papers Gettysburg report of the surgeon of the 21stMS who was with Gen. William Barksdale when he died at Gettysburg, maybe there is a reference to arms. Also Cliff Velentine's book on the 17th might have some reference.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Ken Chrestman, FEC 7147V Tennessee