PDA

View Full Version : Sharps carbines, Taylor's vs DGW

awp101
12-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello, new guy here! Green

I'm interested in a Sharps 1859 or 1863 carbine and I did some searching on the forum here but didn't find this particular info (of course I could be blind... Green ):

Is there a reason to go with the Taylor's over the Pedersoli built version at Dixie Gun Works (for $150 less) other than fit and finish (if there's a difference at all)?

Who manufactures the Taylor's version? It's not listed on their website.

I don't do any re-enacting, just range time and maybe a little hunting will be the primary functions so 100% historical accuracy is not the main focus. Besides, my Smith Carbine is getting lonely. Green

Thanks! Green

Jim Brake 3587
12-22-2008, 11:13 AM
The Taylor & Co. Sharps Is manu. By Armisport in Italy using modern computer driven machines and the fit & finish is better.

B. Miller
12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
I had a Taylors 1863 Sharps carbine. Shot great using paper cartridges. The best load was 35 grains volume of 3f and 35 grains volume of cornmeal. Used the larger ringtail bullet. It kind of looked funny with all of that white stuff coming out of the end of the barrel.
Initially had some problems with it but Taylors took care of them.
Bruce

Southron Sr.
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I have owned two original Sharsp, a Shiloh Sharps and now a Pedersoli Sharps. I am very happy with the Pedersoli and it is very accurate. I like to describe the Pedersoli Sharps as the "Rolls Royce" of replica firearms.

That being said, I hae known several Skirmishers that own and shoot Taylor's Sharps and they seem to be very happy with them. The Taylor's Sharps is a repro of the Model 1863 Sharps Carbine WITHOUT a patch box while the Pedersoli is a replica of the New Model 1859 Sharps Carbine WITH the patch box.