PDA

View Full Version : Yeck Smith

Paul L
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi All,

What is your opionion of the Smith Carbine made by Yeck? Quality, issues, quirks....

I am just curious if it is worth buying one, or not.

Thanks!

Paul

Lou Lou Lou
05-13-2011, 02:39 PM
I thought it was well done at the time. Depending on how much they want for it , I would say get it. Just my opinion.

R. McAuley 3014V
05-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Biggest problem you may have is in finding the white plastic Smith tubes that fit the Yeck Smith. Although there have occasionally been some offered for sale here on the BB, they were made of a different formula from the current black plastic tubes and had a tendency to crack after a while. Nothing lasts forever. If you cannot find the white tubes and want to convert the Yeck over to the black tubes, the Yeck Smith chamber is "smaller" in diameter than the Pietta's chamber, so you'll either need some custom brass or aluminum tubes or have the chamber "enlarged" to take what tube size is available today. As far as prices go, I sold mine for $475 in 2003 but it was not a regular production gun but was "more carefully" assembled from a kit of parts.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14246&p=55219&hilit=Yeck#p55219 (http://n-ssa.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14246&p=55219&hilit=Yeck#p55219)

ballac
05-14-2011, 12:03 PM
I have shot a Yeck Smith for the last 25 yrs. Started with the white tubes,went to the black tubes, no problem. I am now using the new Urathine tubes, they work great. If the gun is in good shape go for it.

NCREBEL
05-14-2011, 04:32 PM
I purchased a Yeck Smith (used) in 1975 and have shot it in competition for 36 years with the original barrell. It shoots as good today as it did when first purchased. I started out with the white Yeck tubes and converted to black tubes when the white ones were no longer available with the same results. The only problems I've had with the carbine was replacing the top strap, one broken trigger spring and twice repairing the touch hole. Not bad for 36 years of service. If the carbine looks reasonably in good shape for it's age, you probably would get a good buy.

MikeArthur
05-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, I have a smith with a yeck barrel, excellent rifling, original receiver and stock(stock has small crack repair) and repro fore-end
problem is the flashhole is totally shot out

but I have also have white plastic tubes:137 reduced capacity, great shape, 135 full capacity, no cracks but more used,

all are white with good flash-holes

trying to get an idea of value for this stuff

thanks in advance

mike arthur, Hampton Horse Artillery, 267PT
:D

tfirth44
05-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I shoot a yeck smith with black plastic tubes. Other than what I have had to replace due to ignorance of a previous owner it is excellant. Wouldnt trade it for anything.

Paul L
05-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! This helps a lot!

Paul L