PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on the 1.25 stockton rifle.

rampa_room_artillery
05-11-2011, 09:57 AM
I am reseaching the stockton rifle. a conf. breach loading bronze rifle. with a bore of 1.25 barrel length of 36 inchs weight about 150 lbs.
any body know where one of the few are at??? theory is that they were scraped during WWII but it is unclear. of that.

rick bryan

cannonmn
06-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Rick, sorry I missed you at Nationals, was there on Sat. only this time. On the weapon, do you have any more info at all? Drawings, etc. would help. I've seen some strange stuff around and often the owner has no name associated with it, and may not know exactly what it is. A friend in IL has one such piece but I can't recall the bore diameter or barrel length. All I remember is that it seemed quite complex.

cannonmn
06-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Apparently the Stockton Rifle was designed by Travis so it may show up under either name. This discussion over on GB forum has photos of one of the survivors; you probably have all that info already, I think you participated in that discussion. If you have any very specific questions on the one shown I can pass your contact info on to the owner and see if he'll get back to you. I have a "first refusal" arranged with the owner in case he decides to sell the piece.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=233781.0

rampa_room_artillery
06-04-2011, 09:10 PM
sounds good i would like to have more info on the gun, but i was looking for info on it thinking it was a small mountain type of cannon, as i found out it is a rail style gun. so field use in the n-ssa would not work out for comp. but it is still a wonderful gun that not alot of people know about. and should be more documented before they are lost or forgotten.

rick bryan