PDA

View Full Version : Log Mortars-Now Everyone Can Have One!!!

Southron Sr.
05-08-2011, 11:02 AM
According to a reference I have found-during the Siege of Petersburg some enterprising Confederates would take a short section of a log and burn out the interior to the diameter so it would take a mortar ball, leaving the bottom intact to serve as a breech plug.

Then they would load it with a small powder charge and mortar ball and shoot at the Yankee lines.

Can I bring my "Log Mortar" to the Spring Nationals and use it in the mortar matches? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey, if it don't shoot that good, I can always use it in the campfire that night!!

Muley Gil
05-11-2011, 09:43 PM
IIRC, Squire Boone, Dan'l's brother, took a sweet gum log, burned out the center, and made a cannon out of it. It survived one or two shots before it exploded. I believed this was during the battle of Boonesborough.

Southron Sr.
05-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Muley:

I guess that using the Squire Boone approach, we also can make a cannon to compete in the Artillery Matches!

YIPPEE!!!!

Roger Hansen
05-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Several 12 and 6 Pdrs were used in the 13 day seige at Spanish Fort, Alabama in 1865. An original still exist at Jefferson Barracks Museum used by one of the Missouri units there. I sent them friction primers I dug up from one of the firing sites in the trench 15 yrs ago.

Roger Hansen