PDA

View Full Version : Original or repro CSA buckle?

us1863
05-08-2011, 10:56 AM
How would someone go about authenticating a Civil War buckle? I have a CSA brass buckle given to me in 1960 by a friend of my mothers who was a Civil War collector. He also gave me an original 1858 classroom history book. He had an extensive collection of original uniforms, hats, boots, leathers flags, muskets and revolvers.

My guess is repro buckles were available in 1960 so this could be a repro. On the other hand an original Civil War buckle was not worth much then so he might have given a 13 year old kid with an interest in the Civil War an original buckle, given he was a friend of my mothers and had an extensive collection.

Unable to post photo. Will post when I can figure out how.

Any thoughts?

RBH3rd
05-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Tom, Good morning.

As a CW collector of 40+ years I may be of some help with just several clear pictures of both the front and back. Pictures speak a thousand words! I additionally have several copies of some of the best CW buckle books out there (i.e. Kerksis' Plates and Buckles of the American Military....). The US market reproduction market in 1960 was already gearing up for the upcoming 1961-1965 Civil War Centennial, so it's quite possible this buckle is an early repro. I'll be glad to give an opinion once I see pictures.

Rocky Higginbotham