PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to the range w/my Smith Carbine

paulmarcone
04-29-2011, 12:33 PM
I finally got to the range this morning to shoot my Pietta Smith Carbine for the first time.

I fired 21 shots -- eight at 25 yards and 13 at 50 yards. All but two were seated.

I used the plastic cases from Dixie, filled with 28 grains of Goex FFG and a little cream of wheat, topped with a .515. greased bullet.

She worked flawlessly - no cleaning necessary.

I was experimenting with different grips and had a couple of different aiming points, but all my shots were on paper. I think next time I can zero her in.

A ton of fun to shoot. I did not time myself, but standing up I think an experienced shooter could get off six to seven shots a minute.

Here's my target shot from 50 yards:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulthewall/5669535043/

Greg Ogdan, 11444
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Paul,
Oops, politically incorrect target! Looks like the gun will probably shoot. Just as an FYI, most of our targets are about 4" hung at 50yds. If you will take a bit more time to aim, your hit percentage will come up noticebly, and that means a lower hit time.

paulmarcone
04-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Paul,
Oops, politically incorrect target! Looks like the gun will probably shoot. Just as an FYI, most of our targets are about 4" hung at 50yds. If you will take a bit more time to aim, your hit percentage will come up noticebly, and that means a lower hit time.

Thanks Greg. The lack of a tight group had more to do with me than the gun. I was experimenting with a couple of different grips and also changed my aiming point a couple of times. Again, this was the first time I ever shot this gun.

Will report back on my next trip to the range.

BTW, I do not skirmish (yet). I just shoot for fun. Skirmishing is something I'd like to do when my four kids are off to college -- which is still a ways away...

R. McAuley 3014V
04-29-2011, 02:13 PM
BTW, I do not skirmish (yet). I just shoot for fun. Skirmishing is something I'd like to do when my four kids are off to college -- which is still a ways away...

Paul,
Why not (while you're young) get your kids involved in skirmishing and do it as a family activity? None of us are guaranteed that we'll be around to participate later, so get involved now while you can spend the time with your kids and don't wait until they're off to college. Food for thought.

paulmarcone
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Paul,
Why not (while you're young) get your kids involved in skirmishing and do it as a family activity? None of us are guaranteed that we'll be around to participate later, so get involved now while you can spend the time with your kids and don't wait until they're off to college. Food for thought.

My son is 9 and is interested. I plan on taking him with me to the range a lot this summer, so perhaps you are right! Thanks.

ms3635v
05-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Paul,

I have a team member that shoots a Pietta Smith. Last Fall he shot it with .515 diameter bullets (the only bullets available to him at the time) and 28 grains of fffg goex powder. The gun did not perform as expected. After slugging the bore we discovered that a .515 diameter bullet was too small. So, the Pietta Smith will now be shot using a .518 diameter bullet (after slugging the bore, we determined that the .518 would work well) with 28 grains of powder in the full-capacity black plastic cases, and I use a .520 Rapine bullet that weighs 350 grains (same bullet) for use in my original Smith. I size the bullet to .518 and it seals nicely in the bore. The bullet is long enough that it compresses the 28 grains of fffg powder (no filler needed in the black plastic, full capacity, cases). At 50 yards, from the bench, my Smith will consistently shoot 3 1/2 groups and at 100 yards it will typically shoot 4 to 4 1/2 in groups. I would say you might want to slug the barrel of your Smith with a larger diameter bullet, then try them and see if it reduces the size of your groups. Just an FYI, the bullets manufactured for the original Smith measured .525 in diameter. Don't be afraid to try different combinations, you'd be suprised how well your gun will perform.

Mike Santarelli 3635V
Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
Middle Atlantic Region

Rlevin
06-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I have the pietta smith and someone told me size to 515 and use 35gr 3G goex. Can I use the bullet at 520 and how much powder

Lou Lou Lou
06-25-2011, 07:48 PM
I shoot reduced capacity cases, 25 grs FFFg. Try the .520 and experiment

BillWeitz
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Paul,
You might want to try shooting at 1" sticky orange dots on plain paper. I use plain cardboards or kraft paper. It gives you a better background behind your sight and a smaller aim point. When tour happy with that go to a pigion sized cirle on plain paper. I think you might find that you group will tighten or at least give you better info on that"s going on.
-Bill Weitz
Cheasepeake Artillery- A family friendly team (shamless recrutting effort)