PDA

View Full Version : Burnside Repair

Kenneth L. Walters
04-26-2011, 10:58 PM
My Burnside has a plugged fire channel. Know anyone who could repair it?

Southron Sr.
04-27-2011, 08:52 AM
While I am not familiar with the Burnside, I have had some success cleaning out the fire channel in my repro New Model 1859 Sharps carbine by using a drill bit that is slightly undersize of the fire channel.

Then I insert the drill bit into the fire channel and gently twirl it using my fingers.Note that when I do this, the drill bit IS NOT mounted in a drill. I have found this method very effective in cleaning out the fire channel.

GOOD LUCK!

Lou Lou Lou
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Talk to your dentist. They have flexible files that they use for root canals. They work like a dream.

Eggman
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
I thought all the Burnsides were used to build fences in Montana.

Kenneth L. Walters
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Larry Romano repairs Burnsides. Probably every thing else as well. And as always he does absolutely beautiful work. Now if I could only afford one of this Tarpleys. But that will never happen.

RaiderANV
04-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Eggs,,,,,,your thinking of the starr carbine. They were very successful as fence posts. Not even the livestock wanted to get near one 8)

Kenneth L. Walters
04-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Eggs,,,,,,your thinking of the starr carbine. They were very successful as fence posts. Not even the livestock wanted to get near one 8)

Pat, Pat, Pat! Your Maynards are ok but there is NOTHING as good as a Star. Now I'm trying to talk Larry into making an Evans!

Southron Sr.
04-29-2011, 12:46 AM
A Little Known Historical Fact:

Under the 1869 Treaty of Ford Fidus in the Montana Territory the U.S. Government promised to provide the Sioux and Cheyenne with 500 war surplus, Maynard Carbines to use for buffalo hunting. Unfortunately, when the buffalo were shot by the indians using the Maynards, the buffalo didn't fall over but just got very mad at the indians.

Regretably, many brave Sioux and Cheyenne Buffalo hunters were trampled to death by the enraged creatures.

It was the abysmal failure of the Maynard Carbine as a "Buffalo Rifle" that eventually led to the Battle of the Little Big Horn in June of 1876 and the loss (Snif!) of General Custer and his command.)

The only practical use that the Sioux and Cheyenne ever found for the Maynard Carbines was as paddles for their "Buffalo Boats" (round boats made out of a wicker frame and tanned buffalo hides)that they used to cross rivers and lakes.

All this has been documented by a "Special" that aired on the History Channel entitled:

"The Maynard Carbine-Good Boat Paddle or Not?"

TK6649V
06-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I've had this problem on a couple Burnsides.
My solution was similar to the drill solution.
I soak the removable part of the breech, the part with the nipple, and
soak it for a couple days in Balistol.
The fire channel has a bend, so you have to work it from both ends.
A fine wire works good, I use pieces of guitar strings.
Work from both ends until you can squirt WD-40 through the channel.
Some times removing the nipple helps you access the fire channel.
Hope this helps.