PDA

View Full Version : 12 in. Columbiad/100 pounder Parrott aboard NAUGATUCK

cannonmn
12-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Question: E.A. STEVENS aka IRONSIDE aka NAUGATUCK aka STEVENS' BATTERY of the US Revenue Marine was originally to be armed with one 12-inch Columbiad, pattern 1844 of which the US Army had exactly one specimen. The Columbiad was test-fired extensively in Boston by Bomford and Wade and the test reports are available. I found a manuscript report by Wade where he mentions that somehow Bomford, at the gun, forgot Wade was in the target area measuring the fall of shot and fired the gun, incurring Wade's displeasure at being made an unwilling target. Nothing more was heard of this unique weapon, until it was ordered to be sent to NAUGATUCK, care of the Collector of Baltimore in 1862, along with 100 "battering projectiles." The weapon was then at Watertown (MA) Arsenal. One telegram states that the carriage for the weapon was not required.

I've found no confirmation of its arrival at Baltimore, no any information regarding the substitution of the Parrott rifle for the 12-inch Columbiad.

NAUGATUCK was eventually armed (for main battery) with one 100-pounder Parrott rifle, which exploded while firing during an attack on Richmond, VA, on the James River.

There is extensive correspondence in the National Archives RG156 Entry 6 vol. 22, and entry 3, vol. 54 and 55 regarding the armament to be provided to the vessel and shipment status, however nothing mentions receipt of the 12-inch Columbiad, nor anything about the 100 pounder Parrott.

The many telegrams/letters on file, all dated 22-26 March 1862, include items from Rodman to Ripley, Ripley to Rodman, and Ripley to the Collector at Baltimore.

The last-dated item found is a telegram from Ripley to Rodman dated March 26, 1862: "Where is the 12-inch gun now? By what route has it been or will it be shipped to Baltimore, and when will it reach there?"

Where can I find any telegrams or letters sent by the Collector at Baltimore during this brief period? I think that would answer the question of what happened to the 12-inch Columbiad and why the 100-pounder Parrott was substituted for it.

cannonmn
01-11-2009, 11:41 AM
My friend who lives in Baltimore and is researching this went to the National Archives again recently and found more info. What he found was a letter from the Collector at Baltimore to Gen. Ripley stating that the cannon had been received. This must be the lone 12 inch Columbiad that existed at that time.

Since apparently that weapon never was installed aboard the ship, I wonder what happened to it? Maybe it is buried somewhere in Baltimore; interesting thought, get out those metal detectors!