PDA

View Full Version : Lyman .515139 is now a .56/56 heeled bullet

Tim Lyne
04-22-2011, 06:49 AM
A couple of years ago I bought a used .56 Spencer Rapine mould when I got my first .56/56 Ballard; couldn't get a new one. The mould had been used pretty hard before I got it and it's given up the ghost. What to do...

I had a Lyman .515139 350gr. mould sitting around that I rarely use so what the heck. I sent it out to Erik at "Hollow point Moulds" with instructions to enlarge the bottom two bands to .522 for a thumb pressure friction seat into my cut .50/70 cases. The top two bands were then enlarged to .546. This left me with a 365gr heeled bullet that holds lots of lube; two grease grooves full inside the case, one very deep grease groove above the case mouth. I was a little concerned that it would be "sticky" when casting becasue of the extra deep GG in the nose, but I haven't had any trouble with it. I left the bevel base on to help self-guide when loading.

The really good news is that it shoots small groups out of my Ballard. I get engraving the full length of the bullet so the base is definetly getting bumped up to groove diameter. So far I still "dip the tip" in lube but this weekend I'll try a few with just the filled GG and see what kind of fouling I get.

I'm sure there are several folks out there that can do lathe work on a mould. Erik did a great job for me. $51.00 total including shipping back to me.

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

John Holland
04-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Tim -

You are soooo clever! The idea of reworking old moulds opens up endless possibilities for hard to get, or impossible to find, bullet types.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and experiences with us!

John

Tim Lyne
04-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Awww, shucks John, t'wern't nothin'...

May I suggest that if you do this, that you etch the new dimensions on the side of the mould as well as any other pertinent information. This will make it much easier for your spouse to sell the mould to a deserving skirmisher after you go toes up.

I'm touched that my wife has Jim Brady's cell phone number on speed dial; she lovingly tells me that at the instant the EMT pronounces me a willing and cooperative organ donor, all of my guns, moulds, powder, caps, leathers, uniform, shop eqiupment, snow shovel, saved targets, sizing dies, lubers, medals, lube, cartridge cases, chamber casts, Fop, Butch Wax, smashed bullets, and all else related items will, within moments, be listed here on the BB so that you, the Skirmisher, may partake of the detritus of my life when I am but a husk. My wife tells me that her immediate attention to these details after my demise just proves her love for me. I guess...but I always give her cats the first bite of anything at meal time just in case.

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
04-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Gee Tim, while it would be tough to see you go the the big skirmish in the sky :( the guns, moulds, powder, caps, sizing dies, lubers, lube, cartridge cases & smashed bullets may need looked at closley for a while and protected, 8) , by me.

The rest will hit the B/B for your fellow skirmishers bone picking pleasure.

Always there for you ol'buddy! :wink:

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Tim Lyne
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Gosh, (sniff) I'm not sure I deserve a friend like you Jim. (Sniff, sniff)

Please ask the rest of the team to wait until the end of the funeral service before they leap over my coffin to get to all this stuff. You'll do that for me won't you? Won't you do that for me Jim?

(sniff)

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

RaiderANV
04-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Tim,,,,,,,, just curious if thar be anything MAYNARD related? If so I'd have to plan attendance to your funeral with my best coffin jumping footwear in tow.

One thought did come up reading your post. Are you sure the wife hasn't seen you feeding the cat whereas she could at least give the cats the antidote in advance?
Makes ya wonder :wink:

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
04-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Fear not Brother Tim I will look out for you as much as I can. Before anyone leaps over your coffin to grap your new HEELED BULLET MOLD, your SIZERS, FIREARMS, etc (See we're still talking about molds and stuff!) I will politely ask them to go around the casket in their mad quest to pick over your stuff before you totally assume room temperature.

Always looking out for you ol'buddy!

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

RaiderANV
04-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Gosh, (sniff) I'm not sure I deserve a friend like you Jim. (Sniff, sniff)

Tim LyneV

Fear not Brother Tim I will look out for you.........

Always looking out for you ol'buddy!

Jim Brady

Geez,,,,,and I didn't believe it possible for two guys to be so close and watch each others back like Tim & Jim without first having been joined together legally in DC. I look up to you two guyz :!: :!: