PDA

View Full Version : Zouave question

chris kilmer
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I just bought an older repro zouave that the original owner thought to be a pietta. I removed the stock to read the name but can't make it out. Most of the name appears to be ground off when fitted to the stock. Are there any other markings or things to look for to identify it? I was also wanting to know what size minie to shoot. I appreciate any information. Thanks

Bill Tate
04-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Chris,

Your Zouave will likely shoot a .576 or .577 minnie. I would try it with 45 grains of FFF powder as a starting point in working up a load.

ms3635v
04-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Hi Chris,

I have an early 70's Zoli Zouave. Stamped on the top of the barrel behind the rear sight is Antonio Zoli & Co. Made in Italy. Under the name Zoli is stamped .58 Caliber. Stamped on the side of the barrel opposite the lock is FARA then the serial number (mine is 197XX) and then there is a series of four proof marks following the serial number. Inside of the patchbox is a spare nipple and a worm. My Zouave shoots a .578 diameter minie and does well with either the Lyman Old Style Minie 575213 OS or the RCBS 500M using 43 grains of fff GOEX blackpowder.

Mike Santarelli 3635V
Co. B, 1st PA Cavalry
MA Region.

Southron Sr.
04-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Since Navy Arms introduced the first repro Zouave around a half-century ago, a lot of different companies in Italy and elsewhere have made the gun. Quality has ranged from "superb" of terrible.

I saw one Spanish made Zouave that was so bad that the "patchbox" was a single piece, brass casting inletted into the wood of the stock. The lid didn't even open up!

I was not aware Pietta ever made any Zouaves.