PDA

View Full Version : O-Ring Modifications of Pedersoli Sharps Rifle

Dominic Infante, 8359V
04-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I would appreciate information on the specifications for O-ring modifications of the Pedersoli 1859 model military rifle. I have three concerns.

1. My chamber sleeve measures 1.25 inches in length. What should it measure once it is cut in two and fitted with an O-ring? I have two sizes of O-rings that could work. One measures .060 in thickness, the other .100. Which is preferred, or is there another which works better?

2. The thickness of my breechblock is .875. What should it measure once an O-ring has been placed under the gas check plate? Once again, what size O-ring should be used? According to my measurements, there is about .015 space under the installed gas check plate. So, if for example a .060 O-ring is used, quite a bit of metal would have to be removed from the bottom of the gas check plate. Is this done by grinding it down a certain number of thousandths or is a circular channel cut in the bottom of the gas check plate which has the same diameter as the O-ring, and cut to a particular depth?

3. I have never removed a barrel, so I am a bit apprehensive. If it is a difficult job, I will go to someone who is qualified. It seems to me there are two ways of doing it. First, the frame could be secured in a padded vise and either a strap wrench or a padded steel wrench used with care to turn the barrel. The other way would be to secure the barrel in a padded vise and use a two or three foot piece of hardwood, for example, placed in the frame opening to turn the frame away from the barrel.

Thanks in advance for the expertise.

dml1296
04-16-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm sure that you will get an answer here, but you may also get some advice on the Shiloh Sharps forums. Here's a link to that subject.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13183

Southron Sr.
04-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Just do a "Search" of this website of Sharps "O" Ring modification under my name. I did the "O" Ring modification on my Pedersoli New Model 1859 and it cost only around $20.00 AND it works just as good as a $500.00 "O" Ring job.

You don't have to mess with removing the barrel or even taking out the gas sleeve in the barrel.

Eggman
04-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Too much temptation!!!!!!!

Charlie Hahn
04-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Give me a call, Charlie Hahn 410-208-4736. I do a captive o-ring modification on Shaps rifles and carbines along with solid block conversion. The fits need to be controlled and I have industrial items that I use for long term shooting. I am currently out of the country, returning after Easter. I will more than glad to discuss what you are doing, or to make the modifications for you.

Regards,

Charlie Hahn