PDA

View Full Version : Zouave Rear Sight Screw

oscarlovel
04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Just received a JRA Zouave and the rear sight screw is stripped. It appears that it is the wrong thread for the tapped hole in the barrel. I know I should probably just try and find the right screw, but I'm tempted to try cleaning the parts and jb welding the rear sight base to the barrel. That screw was VERY soft.

Rebel Dave
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Did you check to see that the screw is not too long, that is a common thing on that type of screw. If it is not too long, you can use some red ( permanent) lock tite on it, that should hold it in place. If that dosn't, You could solder the site on, making sure it is level with the front site. Use metal line levels for that. Hope this helps.

Rebel Dave

aka Dave C.

oscarlovel
04-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Screw isn't too long. Problem appears to be a fine thread on the screw and a coarse thread in the barrel. Attempting to screw it further into the barrels only results in the screw theads further stripping. Red Loctite may be a solution. I don't know. When the rifle arrived, the base was loose, as I discovered on Sunday during my frustrated attempts to shoot it. Needless to say, it shot all over the place. I ordered a sight wrench from Dixie and discovered the thread problem last night.

DAVE FRANCE
04-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Oscar,

If the screw seems to be the right diameter, but the wrong pitch, you can try to find one that is the same diameter, but a finer pitch. Lowes and Home depot have them, but they usually don't have screws that are smaller than 5 mm or 6 mm.

Forget about inch screws. They don't make guns with inch screws in Europe.

If you live where there are a lot of plants, there probably are industrial supply businesses that have a big selection of screws. Some hardware stores located where there is a lot of farming, will have a good selection of small metric screws.

If you know a gunsmith, he may have a big selection and he can see which one fits.

Or measure the screw in inches or millimeters, let me know and I will tell you what it proably is.

The auto companies used to sell vehicles with the wrong screws in them. I used to see new screws under the cars they fell out of at dealers lots. Recalls for seat belt screws are fairly common. I saw on the Internet today that one of the companies is having a recall because of electrical problems. Sometimes that is just because of a ground screw fastener coming loose.

I went to a plant in Canada a few times. One time I went to the place where the cars were started after being assembles. I saw some screws laying on the floor that fell off the engine.

Good Luck!

David

R. McAuley 3014V
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Just received a JRA Zouave and the rear sight screw is stripped. It appears that it is the wrong thread for the tapped hole in the barrel. I know I should probably just try and find the right screw, but I'm tempted to try cleaning the parts and jb welding the rear sight base to the barrel. That screw was VERY soft.

You should be able to get a new rear sight base screw from S&S or Lodgewood. I don't recall just what the thread size is but an original Model 1855 rear sight base screw has a coarse thread with not more than three or four threads on the screw. The screw for my C.S. Richmond (ArmiSport) wouldn't stay tighten so I replaced it with an original screw, and haven't had any problems since. Both S&S and Lodgewood have original sight base screws, and the spanner wrench you bought should work with them. You could have save time and made your own screwdriver but not everyone is mechanically inclined to do so. I bought the spanner wrench too (the first time) until one of the posts broke off, then I fabricated my own out of a Sears "stubby" screwdriver. Works like a charm! Patent pending.