PDA

View Full Version : SN&WTC markings

WMdBlkSmth
04-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I have a SN&WTC ( for Mass) rifle-musket with 1863 lock and barrel dates. The tang of the butt plate, in addition to U.S., is stamped with the number 32. I would appreciate any speculation as to whether the 32 is a rack number or maybe a unit number. It would be interesting if it served with the 32nd Mass in 63 and later; that unit was in the thick of things.

The weapon is NOT stamped with the IC typical of so many SN&WTC; suggests it maybe didn't make it back to Mass to be "inspected/condemed after the war and sold off.

Thanks in advance for any info

A.

ms3635v
04-10-2011, 10:51 AM
If you have a chance to acquire a copy of the book, "The U.S. Model 1861 Springfield Rifle-Musket" by Daniel Hartzler, Larry Yantz and James Whisker, you will see on pages 85 through 88 several photographs of this contract musket and also a listing of stock markings. I have an 1863 Model of this contract and it has a 48 stamped in the stock just behind the tang. In the book there is a photograph of the right side of the butt stock of a rifle-musket with the stampings 29 HSB 60. The authors have noted these stampings as rack marks. I suppose the 48 on my rifle-musket is a rack mark, however, it does not have the other designatinations listed and pictured in the book, page 88. I hope this helps.

Mike Santarelli 3635V
Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
MA Region