PDA

View Full Version : FS .40 cal. underhammer/ SOLD

stuffy25thia
04-03-2011, 05:17 PM
SOLD PENDING PAYMENT
FS .40 cal. underhammer rifle now $400.00 shipped
I have for sale a .40 cal. underhammer rifle, maker unknown. It has a 31 in. long barrel, bright shiny bore. The trigger guard is NOT the main spring, it has an internal spring. Brown metal finish is worn thru in places, no rust anywhere. The wood has a couple small scratches, can be seen in the photos.
I will answer any questions the best I can, I have shoot this before, but has been several years ago, I am a big guy, and this is a slender rifle, just doesn't fit me so well, like shooting a pool cue to me.
Price is $400.00 shipped to the lower 48 states, or trade for something interesting for my civil war shoots. I'm looking for a nice French smoothbore musket, but must be in good shooting condition.
You can email me with any questions you might have, can also email pictures.
ia25th@netins.net

rachbobo
04-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Stuffy,
More than likely the underhammer rifle you sold was made by Hilliard out of Vermont or New Hampshire, I forget which.
I have one a friend gave me years back, the bore is in rough shape Many people mistake it for a Hopkins and Allen " Buggy Gun " that uses the trigger guard as the main spring.
The Hilliard has the hammer, trigger and main spring mounted on the breech plug/tang just like the one you described.
I have seen 2 different versions of the Hilliard, mine has a side mounted ram rod and I have seen others with bottom mounted.
I have hand built 3 of this style so far using 32 inch long 45 cal barrels 1 in 66 twist I bought from Rice barrels out of North Carolina.
They are handy little rifles to teach my grand kids to shoot with.

Bill