PDA

View Full Version : Miroku Brown Bess

alamocity
03-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey Fellas, I am new to the board and new to BP long arms (I have 2 repro colt revolvers)

A local seller has a Brown Bess that he is selling and I'm very interested in it. He says it is a Dixie Gun Works import made by Miroku of Japan. I've read enough forums to know who Miroku is and that their products are well thought of reproductions. Is this true of their version of the Brown Bess?

Does anyone know a time period for the Miroku Bess production?

I believe the seller said this one is a short land 2nd pattern, about 58" total length. What would be a fair price range for a Miroku make in good condition?

Thanks for the input!

T

threepdr
03-31-2011, 11:09 PM
T, The Jap bess is indeed a good gun. They are very well made and reliable. Most were imported from the early 70s up into the 80s. They do have couple of authenticiy problems in the shape of the triggerguard and lack of sling swivels to name a few. Also, spare lock parts are just about impossible to find now. Because the Italian repros are so expensive now, the old Jap besses with go for $500+ based on condition.

Hope this helps

alamocity
03-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Excellent! Thank you sir!

B. Miller
04-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Shooters look for this version of the Brown Bess to come around. High quality and lot cheaper than a Pedersoli.

Bruce

Southron Sr.
05-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Back in the late 1970's or early 80's I met this young man at Old Fort Jackson, sear Savannah, GA with his right shoulder in a cast. He had broken his shoulder at a Revolutionary War Re-enactment with HIS MIROKU BROWN BESS.

As he explained it to me, his unit was in the midst of the "battle" and they were rapid firing, Volley Fire. He was loading blank charge after blank charge and never realizing his gun was NOT FIRING.

Finally, after he had a LOT OF CHARGES in his barrel- pulled the trigger and the gun went off!

He told me that when it went off, it "Sounded like a cannon" to him and the recoil not only threw him to the ground, but broke his shoulder!

I asked him IF his gun blew up. He said: "No" it was just fine. It was one of those Miroku Brown Besses.

All I can say is that those Japanese must be using some very high quality steel in their Brown Bess barrels to withstand a "Proof Charge" like that kid used in it!

Southron Sr.
05-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Pedersoli is not the only company that makes a repro of the Brown Bess. The "Military Heritage Company" sells several different versions of the Brown Bess.

Check out:

www.militaryheritage.com/ (http://www.militaryheritage.com/)

threepdr
05-06-2011, 08:48 AM
There was a similar incident at the 225th anniversery reenactment of Savanah GA a few years ago. Many charges were dumped down the barrel before it went off. It was a Pedersoli and that musket sustain quite a bit of damage IIRC.

The Military Heritage muskets, and those for Loyalist Arms, Veteran Arms and Middelsex Village are all Indian made guns. Most are good values, although the quality is not up to that of the Miroku or Pedersoli.

Steve Blancard
05-06-2011, 08:42 PM
I have a Miroku brown bess and it is indeed a top quality musket. Yes the triggerguard shape is a little off, but that's minor. I added sling swivels to mine. Jump on it ! I also have a Miroku Charleville, 1861 and an 1863 Springfield. I'm sold on Miroku muskets!